Using Regulator ICs In Parallel to Increase Output Current?

• Thread starter swuster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary: The main problem is that transistors are current-driven devices and will fail if they are driven too hard. A darlington switch has a much lower drive current and would be more tolerant of being driven hard.
swuster
Can I use regulator ICs in parallel in order to increase the output current? I don't see any logical problem with it, though I may be missing something. Thinking of using L4902A but its output is maxed at 300 mA. Can I just string a few of them in parallel (adequately heatsinked, of course) to push my current up a little higher?

Engineering news on Phys.org
swuster said:
Can I use regulator ICs in parallel in order to increase the output current? I don't see any logical problem with it, though I may be missing something. Thinking of using L4902A but its output is maxed at 300 mA. Can I just string a few of them in parallel (adequately heatsinked, of course) to push my current up a little higher?

The main issue is that regulators are pull-up devices only. So whichever one has a slightly higher setpoint within tolerances will try to source all of the current. As long as they all have a simple current limit mechanism (as opposed to fold-back current limiting, which many linear regulators have), then yes, they could be directly paralleled.

To parallel power supplies, you generally need to do something, either to address the current limit/sharing aspect, or to address stability issues (usually in switching power supplies). What is the internal circuit like on the L4902?

Actually, looking at the block diagram, the current limiting is not very robust at all - I may just end up using another chip altogether. It's essentially just two linear regulators and a timing circuit; the only reason I chose this particular one was for the added convenience of having the two outputs. In either case, could I just route it through separate current regulator diodes? I feel like the regulator with the higher setpoint would still try to source the current and burn out the diode or something.

Why not just use a transistor/darlington with the regulator to handle the load?

1. What is the purpose of using regulator ICs in parallel?

Using regulator ICs in parallel is a method to increase the overall output current of a power supply. This is beneficial when the load demands more current than a single regulator IC can provide.

2. How does using regulator ICs in parallel increase output current?

When multiple regulator ICs are connected in parallel, the output currents of each IC are combined, resulting in a higher total output current. This is known as current sharing.

3. What are the benefits of using regulator ICs in parallel?

Using regulator ICs in parallel can provide a higher output current, better heat dissipation, and improved overall performance of the power supply. It also allows for redundancy, as one IC can still function if another fails.

4. Are there any limitations or considerations when using regulator ICs in parallel?

There are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using regulator ICs in parallel. These include ensuring that the ICs have the same output voltage and are properly matched, as well as implementing current sharing resistors to prevent one IC from taking on the majority of the load.

5. How do I properly implement regulator ICs in parallel?

To properly implement regulator ICs in parallel, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and guidelines. This may include using a common ground, connecting output terminals together, and using current sharing resistors. It is also important to monitor the output currents of each IC to ensure they are sharing the load evenly.