Is All Dark Energy Essentially Space?

In summary, Dark energy is an unknown form of energy that makes up 70% of the total energy in the universe and is responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is different from dark matter, which is a type of matter that cannot be seen or detected, and its existence was first theorized based on observations of distant supernovae in the late 1990s. Dark energy is thought to be the dominant force driving the expansion of the universe and cannot currently be harnessed.
kurious
If I double the size of a classical,non-quantum mechanical vacuum,
I double the volume of space and its density stays constant at zero
kg/ m ^3.As the amount of dark energy in the universe increases the volume of space increases and the density stays constant.Is dark energy space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi kurious;

I don't think all space is dark energy. But, I think all dark energy is space.

Just my thoughts.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a term used to describe an unknown form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. Is dark energy the same as dark matter?

No, dark energy and dark matter are two separate concepts. Dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be seen or detected by traditional means, but its existence can be inferred from its gravitational effects. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a type of energy that is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe.

3. How do we know dark energy exists?

The existence of dark energy was first theorized in the late 1990s based on observations of distant supernovae. These observations showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which is not possible without the presence of a mysterious energy source. Since then, other cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, have also supported the existence of dark energy.

4. What role does dark energy play in the universe?

Dark energy is thought to be the dominant force driving the expansion of the universe. It counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion to accelerate. Without dark energy, the universe would eventually stop expanding and may even start to contract.

5. Can we harness dark energy?

At this point, we do not have the technology or understanding to harness dark energy. Its nature and properties are still largely unknown, and it is currently not possible to manipulate or control it. However, continued research and advancements in technology may one day allow us to harness the power of dark energy.