Instantaneous axis of rotation

In summary, the problem involves a rod placed between two perpendicular walls and released at an angle θ with the horizontal. The concept of instantaneous axis of rotation is used to find the initial angular acceleration, path of the center of mass, and instantaneous acceleration of the center of mass. The rod is constrained to rotate counterclockwise and the instantaneous axis of rotation is initially at the right end of the rod, but quickly moves to the center of mass.
iitjee10

Homework Statement

A rod is placed between two smooth perpendicular walls such that each end of the rod touches a wall. The rod is released with the bottom end making an angle @ with the horizontal (ground). Using the concept of instantaneous axis of rotation find the following:
(a) The initial angular acceleration
(b) the path of the centre of mass
(c) The instantaneous acceleration of the center of mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the question first without instantaneous axis of rotation and managed to solve it using Newton's Laws, torque equations and constraint relations (although i could not do the last part)

But this instantaneous axis of rotation I have never heard about. Can you please explain it to me what it is and its use here or in some simpler cases so that i can get the hang of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the problem correctly, the rod's length is greater than the separation between the walls, so it has to make an angle θ with respect to the horizontal. Say the right end of the rod touches the wall at a higher point than the left end. Note that the rod can turn counterclockwise but not counterclockwise. When the rod is let go, instantaneously it rotates counterclockwise about its right end. That end is the instantaneous axis of rotation because any infinitesimally small time dt later, the axis of rotation is the center of mass.

oh no! consider the walls as that of a room one end of the rod is on the vertical wall while the other end is on the horizontal wall making angle @ with the horizontal. The question had a figure so I had to spend the time describing the figure

What is the instantaneous axis of rotation?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is an imaginary line or point around which an object is rotating at a specific moment in time. It is also known as the instantaneous center of rotation or the instantaneous velocity center.

How is the instantaneous axis of rotation determined?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is determined by analyzing the instantaneous velocity of different points on an object. It is the point at which the velocities of all points on the object are perpendicular to the line connecting them to the instantaneous center.

What is the significance of the instantaneous axis of rotation?

The instantaneous axis of rotation helps in understanding the motion of an object at any given moment. It is especially useful in analyzing the motion of complex objects or systems, such as a spinning top or a rotating planet.

Can the instantaneous axis of rotation change?

Yes, the instantaneous axis of rotation can change as an object rotates. It may also change depending on the reference frame from which the object is observed.

How does the instantaneous axis of rotation relate to angular velocity?

The angular velocity of an object at any given moment is the rate of change of its angular displacement with respect to time. The instantaneous axis of rotation is the point around which this angular velocity is measured.