Finding the inertia of a tilted cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inertia of a tilted cylinder about its center of mass. The equation used is I = mr2, starting with point masses and using the parallel axis theorem. To find the inertia of a tilted ring, the position vector and the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation are needed. The position vector is represented by a unit vector and the distance is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.
undereducated
1. Find the inertia of a tilted cylinder about its center of mass.

2. Pretty much i want to start with the point masses and prove it from there so the equation to use would be I = mr2

3. Heres where I'm at. I figure the first thing I need is to find the inertia of a tilted ring about its center of mass which I can use to find a tilted disk and build the cylinder out of these applying the parallel axis theorem. But for life of me I can't figure out the equation for a tilted ring. Regular ring would be I = integral from 0 to Pi of ((M / 2 Pi R) * R d-theta * R2. The problem with the tilt is that the radius from the axis of rotation would be variable from The radius of the ring to the radius of the ring times sin x if x is the angle of tilt. I need to find some way to relate the variable radius with theta as it traces out the ring. I don't want it all worked out for me just a hint on the right way to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw axes x,y in he plane of the ring and z perpendicular to the plane of the ring. Without loss of generality, your axis of rotation can be represented by a unit vector in the xz plane as

[tex]\hat{a}=sin\theta \hat{i}+cos \theta \hat{k}[/tex]

Note that the axis of rotation is tilted by angle θ with respect to the perpendicular to the ring plane.

The position vector of an element dm on the ring is

[tex]\vec{R}=Rcos\phi \hat{i}+Rsin \phi \hat{j}[/tex]

To calculate the moment of inertia, you need the perpendicular distance r from dm to the axis of rotation. You get this from the Pythagorean theorem (R is the hypotenuse of the right triangle)

[tex]r^2=R^2-(\hat{a}\cdot \vec{R})^2[/tex]

I will stop here and let you proceed on your own.

I would suggest using the moment of inertia formula for a thin ring, which is I = MR^2. This formula assumes that the ring is rotating about its center of mass, which is not the case for a tilted ring. However, by applying the parallel axis theorem, we can find the moment of inertia about the tilted axis of rotation by adding the moment of inertia about the center of mass (MR^2) and the product of the mass (M) and the distance between the center of mass and the tilted axis of rotation squared (d^2). This gives us the equation I = MR^2 + Md^2.

To find the moment of inertia of a tilted disk, we can divide the disk into infinitesimally thin rings and integrate the moment of inertia formula for each ring. This will give us the equation I = integral from 0 to R of (MR^2 + Md^2) dR, where R is the radius of the disk and d is the distance between the center of mass and the tilted axis of rotation.

Finally, to find the moment of inertia of a tilted cylinder, we can use the same approach by dividing the cylinder into infinitesimally thin disks and integrating the moment of inertia formula for each disk. This will give us the equation I = integral from 0 to H of (integral from 0 to R of (MR^2 + Md^2) dR) dH, where H is the height of the cylinder and R is the radius of the disk. This equation takes into account the varying distance between the tilted axis of rotation and the center of mass as we move up the height of the cylinder.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always use the correct formula for the specific shape and to apply the parallel axis theorem when needed. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is inertia and why is it important to measure?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is important to measure because it helps us understand the physical properties and behavior of objects.

2. How do you measure the inertia of a tilted cylinder?

The inertia of a tilted cylinder can be measured by performing an experiment where the cylinder is tilted at a certain angle and then released. The time it takes for the cylinder to reach the bottom of the incline can be measured and used to calculate its inertia.

3. What factors can affect the inertia of a tilted cylinder?

The inertia of a tilted cylinder can be affected by its mass, shape, and the angle at which it is tilted. Other external factors such as air resistance and surface friction can also impact the measurement.

4. What is the formula for calculating the inertia of a tilted cylinder?

The formula for calculating the inertia of a tilted cylinder is I = 1/2 * m * r^2 * (1 - cosθ), where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, r is the radius, and θ is the angle of inclination.

5. How is the inertia of a tilted cylinder used in real-world applications?

The inertia of a tilted cylinder is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of roller coasters and amusement park rides. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects on an inclined plane, which can be applied in fields such as engineering and physics.