Design an O-Ring Groove w/ AS568A Series/Chart

• Thread starter vishugupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the AS568A series/chart provides standard dimensions for o-ring glands. If your application needs a different size o-ring, you can go outside of these dimensions, but you need to be aware of the risks involved.
vishugupta
Hi Everybody,
I want to design an o-ring groove. I presume if you know the o-ring cross-section dia and inner dia of o-ring you can use the AS568A series/chart and find the required dimensions? Am i right? please guide?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi vishugupta,
The bible for the industry is Parker's O-ring Handbook. They provide standard gland dimensions for all types of applications and a section on material compatibility. The book can be downloaded here:
http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

As you've noted, the standard sizes are listed per AS568. Generally, there's no need to go outside of these dimensions, though I've often done so, even for pressure as high as 15,000 psi. The standard gland dimensions need not always be applied and sometimes there are reasons to go outside the box, especially for high pressure applications.

There are also non-standard O-rings designed to fit the same dimensions as these standards, but the O-rings aren't round. Quad-seals for example, are X shaped and work great for dynamic applications.

If your seal is a static one or has very limited movement, preferably with a lubricant, and as long as temperature and pressure are within limits, then an O-ring is a great way to go. If however, your application is a dynamic one that has to last a long time such as piston rings, or is outside the pressure and temperature limits, then there are other solutions to sealing that will be better than using elastomeric O-rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

what is the formula for calculating gland fill. I read value of gland fill should be ideally 75-80% to accommodate various expansions(thermal,etc) but in AS568A standards for a particular o-ring cross-section dia , the gland height and width is always lesser. This leads to gland fill being more than 100%
What mistake am i making. Please guide

1. What is an O-Ring groove?

An O-Ring groove is a specific design feature in a mechanical component that provides a space for an O-Ring to fit into. The groove is typically a circular or rectangular channel that is designed to hold and seal the O-Ring in place, preventing leaks.

2. What is the AS568A series/chart?

The AS568A series/chart is a standardized system for O-Ring sizes and dimensions developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). It includes 369 different sizes of O-Rings ranging from 0.029 inches to 25.940 inches in inside diameter.

3. How do I choose the correct AS568A O-Ring size for my groove?

The correct AS568A O-Ring size for your groove can be determined by measuring the inside diameter and width of the groove, and then referring to the AS568A chart to find the corresponding O-Ring size. It is important to note that the O-Ring should fit snugly in the groove but not be stretched or compressed.

4. What are the benefits of using an AS568A O-Ring groove design?

The AS568A O-Ring groove design offers several benefits, including consistent and precise dimensions, compatibility with a wide range of O-Ring sizes, and the ability to easily replace O-Rings without needing to modify the groove. This standardized design also allows for easy interchangeability between manufacturers.

5. Are there any special considerations when designing an O-Ring groove with the AS568A series/chart?

Yes, there are a few special considerations to keep in mind when designing an O-Ring groove with the AS568A series/chart. These include selecting the appropriate O-Ring material for the specific application, ensuring proper clearance between the O-Ring and mating surfaces, and considering any potential factors that may affect the performance of the O-Ring in the groove, such as temperature, pressure, and chemicals.