Time period formula-proof required

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving the equation T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} where l is length and g is gravity. The person asking the question is new to the forum and apologizes for any mistakes in their English. They request help in understanding the problem and provide a link to a Wikipedia page on pendulums. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the helpful link and affirming their understanding of the problem.
IB1
Hello everyone, I'm new here, sorry if I make mistakes. My english is poor.

Prove that :
[tex] T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} [/tex]
where [tex]l[/tex] is length and [tex]g[/tex] is gravity

I hope you understand my question, else: I will try to write it again.
Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi IB1! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thank you tiny-tim, It's nice joining this forum.

As for the problem: Well, I don't know even how to start proving this. I was first thinking for any trigonometric solution but I can not understand how the period can be independent from the angle. Hope you understand to which angle I refer.

It is not necessary to give an own proof, a link would be good enough.

Last edited:
Hi IB1! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

It's difficult to know how to help without knowing how advanced your knowledge is …

which part of the course is this in (for example, have you done calculus)?

Maybe this will help … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, the link was useful. You understood what I was asking :) . As for Calculus, yes -I know Calculus.

It Seems that I was right, the period is not very independent from the angle [tex] \theta [/tex] .

1. What is the formula for calculating time period?

The formula for calculating time period is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the time period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you prove the time period formula?

The time period formula can be proved using mathematical principles such as the law of conservation of energy and the equation for simple harmonic motion. It can also be demonstrated through experiments using a pendulum.

3. Can the time period formula be used for other objects besides pendulums?

Yes, the time period formula can be applied to any object that undergoes simple harmonic motion, such as a mass on a spring or a swinging object.

4. What is the significance of the time period formula in science?

The time period formula is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its time period, and how gravity affects the motion of objects. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. Are there any limitations to the time period formula?

Yes, the time period formula assumes ideal conditions such as a frictionless and uniform environment, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not account for external factors that may affect the motion of the pendulum.