Calculating Mass of Light Fixture from Cable Tensions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the mass of a light fixture suspended from the ceiling by two cables with different tensions. The solution involves using the y-component of the tension and solving for the missing angle to find the other y-component. Ultimately, the equation Fg=mg is used to check the final answer.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The figure shows a light fixture suspended from the ceiling. If the tension in cable 1 is 34N and the tension in cable 2 is 24N, what is the mass of the light fixture?

Homework Equations

http://orbitsimulator.com/misc/IMG00034-20101024-1557.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to add the y-components of the tension of each cable, and to use m=F/a to get the mass. But how do I get the y-component of the triangle on the right if I don't know the angle? The place where cable 2 attaches to the horizontal bar can be slid back and forth, changing the angles of the triangle therefore changing the y-component of the 24N force.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're stuck in the y-component, work in the x-component, see what you can figure out from there.

thrill3rnit3 said:
If you're stuck in the y-component, work in the x-component, see what you can figure out from there.
I run into the same problem. Without knowing an angle or another side I can't compute either component.

tony873004 said:
I run into the same problem. Without knowing an angle or another side I can't compute either component.

Then we have to solve for the missing angle.

What's your equation for the x-component?

thrill3rnit3 said:
Then we have to solve for the missing angle.

What's your equation for the x-component?
24 N * cos(unknown angle #1)
or
24 N * sin(unknown angle #2)

tony873004 said:
24 N * cos(unknown angle #1)
or
24 N * sin(unknown angle #2)

When you're doing a component, you need to consider both ends.

In the x component, take the sum of forces that act on the mass.

ΣFx = max = ?

thrill3rnit3 said:
When you're doing a component, you need to consider both ends.

In the x component, take the sum of forces that act on the mass.

ΣFx = max = ?
ok, got it! It's not accelerating in x, so 34 sin(40) = 24 sin theta. Now I've got an angle I can work with to get the other y-component. Thanks!

uhm hi

i have an idea about ur problem
but i may not able to explain this well since I am really sleepy
so uhm ill just put the equation u have to use

mg*sin50 = 34

m is ur mass, g is 9.8m/s2, angle = 90-40=50
do the rest of calculation

if u want to make sure u have a correct answer
calculate the angles for both sides and apply all possible forces acting on it
and in the end should have the same force of tension and force of gravity

Fg(force of gravity)=Ft(force of tension)
Fg=mg

tony873004 said:
ok, got it! It's not accelerating in x, so 34 sin(40) = 24 sin theta. Now I've got an angle I can work with to get the other y-component. Thanks!

I'm glad you were able to figure it out :cool:

Thanks again Thrill...

PMC_l0ver said:
uhm hi

...angle = 90-40=50
do the rest of calculation...

Hi PMC_l0ver. I see this is your 1st post at Physicsforums.com. I'm honored you used it to answer my question. That's the way I first did the problem. But we both fell into the same trap. We can not just assume that since the angle between the 2 strings looks like a right angle that the triangle on the right has an angle of 50 degrees. There was no guarantee that the diagram was drawn to scale. The fact that there is no horizontal acceleration gives me what I need to know to find the missing angle. Thanks for your effort!

1. How are cable tensions used to calculate the mass of a light fixture?

Cable tensions are used to calculate the mass of a light fixture by measuring the force exerted on the cables and using that information to determine the weight of the fixture. This is done through the use of mathematical equations and formulas.

2. What other factors besides cable tensions are important in calculating the mass of a light fixture?

In addition to cable tensions, the length and diameter of the cables, as well as the material they are made of, are important factors in determining the mass of a light fixture. The gravitational force of the Earth and any external forces acting on the fixture must also be taken into account.

3. Can cable tensions change over time and affect the accuracy of the mass calculation?

Yes, cable tensions can change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and wear and tear. It is important to regularly check and adjust cable tensions to ensure accurate calculations of the mass of a light fixture.

4. Is there a standard or formula for calculating the mass of a light fixture from cable tensions?

There is no one standard or formula for calculating the mass of a light fixture from cable tensions, as it can vary depending on the specific design and materials of the fixture. However, there are common equations and principles that can be applied to most situations.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the mass of a light fixture?

Accurately calculating the mass of a light fixture is important for several reasons. It ensures the safety and stability of the fixture, as well as the surrounding environment. It also helps with proper installation and maintenance, and can impact the overall performance and lifespan of the fixture.