Regulated vs Unregulated regrading to SMPS

• Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smps
In summary: If so, then burst mode is not possible.In summary, the basic difference between a regulated and unregulated switch mode power supply is that a regulated supply has a feedback loop to adjust the output voltage, while an unregulated supply does not. This means that the output voltage of a regulated supply will remain constant, while the output voltage of an unregulated supply may fluctuate depending on the current demand. Additionally, an unregulated supply may have the option for burst mode, where the duty cycle and other parameters can be manually set, while a regulated supply does not have this option.
rama1001
Hi,
Can anyone explaine me what is the basic difference between the mentioned question and how it differs on the parameters like output voltage, output current, burst duty, frequency, duty cycle, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time.

I don't have any idea about the difference and also what are the paremeters we will take into consideration on both occations.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SMPS power supplies are all regulated.

Fish

can you explaine me the differences between those two. I am very beginer to this...

rama1001 said:
Hi,
Can anyone explaine me what is the basic difference between the mentioned question and how it differs on the parameters like output voltage, output current, burst duty, frequency, duty cycle, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time.

I don't have any idea about the difference and also what are the paremeters we will take into consideration on both occations.
Thank you.

rama1001 said:
can you explaine me the differences between those two. I am very beginer to this...

As Fish already said, most switch mode power supplies are regulated. After all, they have some output voltage that they are specified to deliver, right?

There are a very few applications where an unregulated output can be tolerated. One would be where you are following a DC-DC converter stage with a linear regulator stage, to supply a quiet rail to the application circuitry. Another example would be the Maxim RS-232 level shifter ICs, that use switched capacitor DC-DC circuits to make the +/-12V rails for RS-232 comm out of a 5Vdc supply.

Fish4Fun said:
SMPS power supplies are all regulated.

Fish

Not necessarily true.

Averagesupernova said:
Not necessarily true.

Hey, ASN, can you help me with other examples of non-regulated DC-DC applications?

I know some car audio amplifiers use an unregulated supply. They will run class AB. If you think about it, we could run a linear post regulator which then feeds the collectors of the output stage of the amplifier. We will dissipate a certain amount of power in the pass transistor of the linear post regulator. If we were to eliminate the pass transistor and feed the output of the switcher (ripple free due to good filtering) right into the collectors of the output transistors now the power that was dissipated in the pass transistor is now dissipated in the output transistor. Sure, the voltage may sag on the collector of the output transistor when current demand is high compared to low but as long as the voltage does not get low enough to clip the output signal it doesn't matter.

A switched capacitor supply is a good counter example to "All".

Fish

Last edited:
thanks for your information and still, i am not able to understand the differnce between those two regarding the parameters what i have given in the first scrap. I am doing a GUI, in that i encounterd these problems. In my application, I am going to create a checkbox(regulated) with some parameters under it. if the user press the checkbox(means regulated) and it has to display only ouput voltage, current textboxes. othe case that if unchecked(un-regulated) then it has to display burst duty, frequency, duty cycle, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time textboxes.

Now, can anyone explaine me in unregulated case about that parameters and internal meaning of all the parameters.

rama1001 said:
thanks for your information and still, i am not able to understand the differnce between those two regarding the parameters what i have given in the first scrap. I am doing a GUI, in that i encounterd these problems. In my application, I am going to create a checkbox(regulated) with some parameters under it. if the user press the checkbox(means regulated) and it has to display only ouput voltage, current textboxes. othe case that if unchecked(un-regulated) then it has to display burst duty, frequency, duty cycle, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time textboxes.

Now, can anyone explaine me in unregulated case about that parameters and internal meaning of all the parameters.

Regulating the output of a switching power supply involves feeding back a measurement of the output voltage, and adjusting the duty cycle of the switching circuit to achieve the output voltage regulation. If the output voltage is to be unregulated, then it sounds like your program let's you set the switching duty cycle (and those other parameters) by hand to some steady-state value.

1. What is the difference between regulated and unregulated SMPS?

Regulated and unregulated SMPS refer to the way in which the output voltage of the power supply is controlled. A regulated SMPS has a feedback loop that constantly adjusts the output voltage, while an unregulated SMPS does not have this feedback mechanism and the output voltage can vary depending on load and input voltage.

2. Which type of SMPS is more efficient?

Generally, regulated SMPS tend to be more efficient than unregulated SMPS. This is because the feedback loop in regulated SMPS helps to maintain a consistent output voltage, reducing energy waste. However, the efficiency of both types of SMPS can vary depending on the specific design and load.

3. What are the benefits of using a regulated SMPS?

There are several benefits to using a regulated SMPS. These include a more stable output voltage, better efficiency, and the ability to handle a wider range of input voltages. Additionally, regulated SMPS can provide protection against overvoltage and overcurrent conditions.

4. When should I use an unregulated SMPS?

Unregulated SMPS are typically used in applications where precise voltage control is not necessary, such as in simple electronic devices. They are also often used in low-cost applications where efficiency is not a major concern.

5. Can I convert an unregulated SMPS into a regulated one?

It is possible to modify an unregulated SMPS to add a feedback loop and make it regulated. However, this requires a deep understanding of power supply design and should only be attempted by experienced individuals. It is generally more cost-effective and safer to purchase a pre-made regulated SMPS for applications that require precise voltage control.