Do Aerospace Engineers Work with Physicists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intersection of engineering and physics in the aerospace industry. The speaker is a physics and math major interested in breaking into the commercial space industry, but lacks the time to switch to an engineering major. They mention that aerospace engineering often involves topics such as celestial mechanics and fluid mechanics, and that corporations may have physicists working with aerospace engineers.
hylander4
My question is basically for any type of engineer that works for an Aerospace company.

Do you work with many physicists?

I've recently become very interested in the growing commercial space industry, so I've been researching ways to insert myself into it. I'm a rising senior undergraduate majoring in Physics and Math. Unfortunately, I don't even have close to enough time to switch to a Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering major at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not in the best position to give you a definitive answer, but since no one else has posted yet i'll just say this.
I'm sure Aerospace engineering goes hand in hand with a lot of different aspects of physics.

Some topics like Cellestial Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics would come handy.

But everything would depend on whether your topic of interest comes close to any sub-branch and also if it requires theorotical rigour.

I read somewhere that corporations often have physicists working with aerospace engineers for whatever purpose they had in mind. I don't remember where I read this so take it with a grain of salt

As a scientist and aerospace engineer, I can confirm that aerospace engineers do work closely with physicists in the industry. In fact, physics is a fundamental aspect of aerospace engineering, and many aerospace engineers have backgrounds in physics.

In the commercial space industry, there is a strong need for both engineers and physicists. While engineers focus on designing and building spacecraft and other aerospace systems, physicists play a critical role in understanding the underlying principles and laws of physics that govern these systems.

In my experience, working with physicists has been essential in solving complex problems and developing innovative solutions in the aerospace industry. Physicists bring a deep understanding of fundamental concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, which are crucial in designing and analyzing aerospace systems.

I would encourage you to pursue your interest in the commercial space industry, even if you do not have an engineering degree. Your background in physics and math will be highly valued in the aerospace industry, and many companies actively seek out individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Additionally, there are opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration between engineers and physicists in the industry, so your background could be a valuable asset.

In conclusion, aerospace engineers do work closely with physicists, and your background in physics and math can be a valuable asset in the commercial space industry. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of a career in this exciting and rapidly growing field.

1. What is the relationship between aerospace engineering and physics?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It heavily relies on the principles of physics, such as aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanics, to design and operate these vehicles.

2. Do aerospace engineers and physicists work together?

Yes, aerospace engineers and physicists often work together and collaborate on various projects. While aerospace engineers focus on the practical application of physics principles in designing and building aircraft and spacecraft, physicists provide the theoretical framework and research to support these designs.

3. How does physics play a role in aerospace engineering?

Physics is essential in aerospace engineering as it helps engineers understand the behavior of aircraft and spacecraft in various conditions, such as flight, launch, and re-entry. It also guides the design and development process, ensuring the safety and efficiency of these vehicles.

4. Can physics concepts be applied to other engineering fields besides aerospace engineering?

Yes, physics concepts are fundamental to many other engineering fields, such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering. These principles are the building blocks for understanding and designing various systems and technologies.

5. What skills do aerospace engineers and physicists share?

Both aerospace engineers and physicists require strong analytical and problem-solving skills to approach complex problems and find innovative solutions. They also need a solid understanding of mathematics and computer science to support their work in designing and testing aircraft and spacecraft.