Power calculations for Hovering

In summary, the formula for the power required to hover is P = T * V, where P is power, T is thrust, and V is velocity. This means that the power required is directly proportional to the thrust needed to lift the weight of the load and motor. However, aerodynamic characteristics may also affect the actual power required.
rosshalz
Hi,

I have a very basic question. Theoretically,I need to make a load hover (in real terms I'm makin a heli).

I wanted to do the calculations for how much power is needed by the prime mover (engine/motor doesn matter) to hover. i.e to give thrust(T) = weight of (load+Motor).
Can someone please tell me this equation that relates Power(P) and Thrust(T) at zero velocity i.e hovering.

Dont worry about prop diameter/aerodynamic characteristics etc at this moment. I'm just looking for the minimum power of the prime mover(energy source) to give me the ability to hover a certain weight

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately it's not that simple.

The formula for power is quite simple: Force x Velocity. So the quick answer to your question is that no matter how much your load weighs, the minimum power required is "0", since your velocity is zero. If you think about it, this is precisely true...after all, how much power does it take for the ground to hold up a mountain?

Obviously this isn't the answer you're looking for. A helicopter is not supported by the ground, but by the air. It does this by accelerating a mass of air down, with the reaction keeping it up. The greater this mass of air that is accelerated the closer you can get to the theoretical "0" requirement. Essentially this means that the larger your propeller diameter, the less power you need.

Hi there,

The equation you are looking for is the power required to hover, which is given by the formula P = T * V, where P is power, T is thrust, and V is velocity (in this case, zero since you are hovering). This means that the power required to hover is directly proportional to the thrust needed to lift the weight of the load and motor. However, this equation does not take into account other factors such as aerodynamic characteristics, so the actual power required may be slightly higher. I hope this helps!

What is a power calculation for hovering?

A power calculation for hovering is a method used to determine the amount of power needed for a drone or aircraft to stay in a fixed position in the air. It takes into account factors such as the weight of the aircraft, its velocity, and the air density to calculate the required power.

Why is a power calculation necessary for hovering?

A power calculation is necessary for hovering because it helps determine the minimum power required to keep the aircraft in a stable position. This information is crucial for pilots to ensure the safety and efficiency of their flights.

What factors affect power calculations for hovering?

The weight of the aircraft, its velocity, and the air density are the main factors that affect power calculations for hovering. Other factors such as wind speed and direction, temperature, and altitude may also have an impact.

How accurate are power calculations for hovering?

The accuracy of power calculations for hovering depends on the accuracy of the data used in the calculation. If accurate measurements are taken for the weight of the aircraft, its velocity, and the air density, the power calculation can be very precise.

Can power calculations for hovering be used for any type of aircraft?

Yes, power calculations for hovering can be used for any type of aircraft as long as the relevant data is available. However, the calculations may need to be adjusted for different types of aircraft, as they may have different weights, velocities, and air density requirements.