A-Levels for Theoretical Physics: Maths, Physics, Computing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's A-level subjects and university plans, including the suggestion to possibly choose a fourth subject for AS and the importance of checking with specific universities. The speaker also advises starting to work through assigned Mathematics textbooks and mentions the similarities between Theoretical/Mathematical Physics courses and regular Physics courses. A-level computing is seen as "soft" and the best subjects for physics, maths, engineering and computer science degrees are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. Biology may be a suitable replacement for Further Maths for those pursuing biology-related degrees.
MegaDeth
I'm doing Physics, Maths and Further Maths for A Levels. I'm planning on doing Theoretical Physics in University. I had A* in Maths and A in Physics for GCSE's. I'm wondering if I should choose another subject? If so, what? Would computing be a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd say these three are just fine. If Cambridge and Imperial don't have a problem with these, then really, you should be fine. Generally, you'd need a fourth subject at AS, though. Check with the universities you're interested in.

If you'd really *want* to study any other subject, then do it. If you're applying to the LSE (in case you somehow decide you'd rather do say, Stats w/Finance or something!) or Cambridge, check with them. For Cambridge, specific colleges have their own requirements. For instance, Business is not a very well regarded subject. Sciences, Maths, Languages and Economics/History, *are*, on the other hand.

I don't care what your GCSE grades are. There's a bit of a leap from GCSE Maths to A-Level Maths. Since you do seem interested, I'd suggest you start working through your "assigned" Mathematics textbooks asap. Use KhanAcademy and the forums here when you hit a wall, which you will, eventually.

While I haven't started university study yet, it is my understanding that "theory", "computation" and "experiment" are merely techniques for doing Physics. Further to that, doing a straight-up Physics course with extra courses in Maths and Computer Science should prepare you well enough for getting into these kinds of PhD programs eventually, if you'd still want to. (correct me if I'm wrong...)
The Theoretical/Mathematical Physics variants of these degree courses are, as far as I know (and I have read around a lot), essentially the same as their "Physics BSc/MPhys" counterparts, except that in the former, one does some additional mathematics modules instead of certain physics labs.

I think that A-level computing is seen as a bit "soft", is it not? I'm not entirely sure as I didn't do A-levels, but that's the impression I have - from computer science students, no less.

In terms of A-levels, the best subjects to have for physics, maths, engineering and computer science degrees are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Biology if doing biology related stuff, probably in place of further maths.

1. What subjects are typically included in A-Levels for Theoretical Physics?

In addition to Maths, Physics, and Computing, A-Levels for Theoretical Physics may also include subjects like Chemistry, Biology, and Further Maths.

2. What skills are necessary for success in A-Levels for Theoretical Physics?

Strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills are essential for success in A-Levels for Theoretical Physics. Additionally, a strong understanding of scientific principles and the ability to think critically are important.

3. What career opportunities are available with A-Levels in Theoretical Physics?

A-Levels in Theoretical Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. Many students also go on to pursue higher education in theoretical physics or related fields.

4. How can I prepare for A-Levels in Theoretical Physics?

To prepare for A-Levels in Theoretical Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in Maths and Physics. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial. Reading books and articles on theoretical physics can also help to develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. What are some common challenges students face in A-Levels for Theoretical Physics?

Some common challenges students may face in A-Levels for Theoretical Physics include understanding complex mathematical concepts, applying theoretical principles to real-world problems, and managing a heavy workload. It is important to stay organized, seek help when needed, and stay motivated in order to overcome these challenges.