Calculating 100ml with a mole vs mole ratio

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole Ratio
Expert SummarizerIn summary, to calculate the amount of ethanol and water needed for a 0.4:0.6 mole ratio in a 100ml solution, you can use the formula V1 = (n1/n2) x V2, where V1 is the volume of ethanol, n1 is the number of moles of ethanol, V2 is the total volume of the solution (100ml), and n2 is the total number of moles (0.4 + 0.6 = 1). To calculate the number of moles of ethanol, you can use the formula n1 = (V1 x C1)/1000, where C1 is the concentration of ethanol (0.
miniradman

Homework Statement

I have pure ethanol and water. When mixed, the total volume is not the sum of the individual volumes (its a little bit less). A wikipedia graph has shown that a 0.4mol ethanol to 0.6mol to water mixture is ideal to get the most contraction. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Excess_Volume_Mixture_of_Ethanol_and_Water.png)

How do I calculate how much ethanol and water to add if I needed to get 100ml of solution with the mole ratio is 0.4 ethanol to 0.6 water.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know what to do, I just need hints or something because trying to get my heard around this concept in making my head hurt :confused:

Thanks, guys

Physics news on Phys.org
!

To calculate the amount of ethanol and water needed for a 0.4:0.6 mole ratio in a 100ml solution, you can use the following formula:

V1 = (n1/n2) x V2

Where V1 is the volume of ethanol needed, n1 is the number of moles of ethanol, V2 is the total volume of the solution (100ml in this case), and n2 is the total number of moles (0.4 + 0.6 = 1).

To calculate the number of moles of ethanol (n1), you can use the formula:

n1 = (V1 x C1)/1000

Where C1 is the concentration of ethanol in the solution (0.4 mol/L in this case).

Substituting the values in the first formula, we get:

V1 = (0.4/1) x 100ml = 40ml

To calculate the volume of water needed, we can use the same formula, with the concentration of water (0.6 mol/L) and the total number of moles (1):

V2 = (n1/n2) x V2 = (0.6/1) x 100ml = 60ml

Therefore, to get a 0.4:0.6 mole ratio in a 100ml solution, you will need to mix 40ml of ethanol and 60ml of water.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you calculate 100ml using a mole ratio?

To calculate 100ml using a mole ratio, you first need to determine the molar mass of the substance you are working with. Then, use the formula (100ml/1L) x (1 mole/molar mass) = x moles. This will give you the number of moles needed for 100ml.

2. What is a mole ratio and how is it used in calculations?

A mole ratio is a conversion factor that relates the amounts in moles of any two substances involved in a chemical reaction. It is used in calculations to determine the quantity of a substance needed or produced in a reaction.

3. Can a mole ratio be used for any type of substance?

Yes, a mole ratio can be used for any type of substance as long as the molar masses are known. It is a universal concept in chemistry and can be applied to both elements and compounds.

4. How does the mole ratio affect the final amount of product in a reaction?

The mole ratio plays a critical role in determining the final amount of product in a reaction. It helps to determine the limiting reagent, which is the substance that is completely used up in a chemical reaction. The amount of product formed is dependent on the limiting reagent, as it determines the maximum amount of product that can be produced.

5. How do you convert between moles and volume?

To convert between moles and volume, you can use the formula: moles = (volume in liters) x (molarity). This formula is based on the definition of molarity, which is moles of solute per liter of solution. By rearranging the formula, you can also calculate volume given moles and molarity.