Japan Tsunami Junk Floating Towards Hawaii

In summary, 5 to 20 million tons of debris from Japan's tsunami are moving rapidly across the Pacific Ocean. Researchers from the University of Hawaii estimate it could approach the U.S. West Coast in the next three years.
BadBrain
See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/20-million-tons-debris-japan-tsunami-moving-toward-143640503.html

Up to 20 million tons of debris from Japan’s tsunami moving toward Hawaii

By Laura Rozen
Senior Foreign Affairs Reporter

Some 5 to 20 million tons of debris--furniture, fishing boats, refrigerators--sucked into the Pacific Ocean in the wake of Japan's March 11 earthquake and tsunami are moving rapidly across the Pacific. Researchers from the University of Hawaii tracking the wreckage estimate it could approach the U.S. West Coast in the next three years, the UK Daily Mail reports.
"We have a rough estimate of 5 to 20 million tons of debris coming from Japan," University of Hawaii researcher Jan Hafner told Hawaii's ABC affiliate KITV.
Crew members from the Russian training ship the STS Pallada "spotted the debris 2,000 miles from Japan," last month after passing the Midway islands, the Mail wrote. "They saw some pieces of furniture, some appliances, anything that can float, and they picked up a fishing boat," said Hafner. The boat was 20-feet long, and was painted with the word "Fukushima." "That's actually our first confirmed report of tsunami debris," Hafner told KITV.

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami that hit northeastern Japan on March 11 has left some 20,000 people dead or missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has plans to pck up the garbage? Perhaps TLC can do a reality show about it and can have contestants loot the junk.

How could you pick up 20 million tons of garbage?

I'm on Oahu. If I see anything here, I'll let you guys know... It looks like most of it is going to float north of Hawaii though, which is good; it would suck to be riding a wave and then all of a sudden get hit in the head with a refrigerator!

I don't know, you're probably missing out on all sorts of cool stuff. I could use a new fridge myself

Don't ever underestimate what contestants on a reality tv show are capable of.

It's already passed through my daughter's bedroom.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It's already passed through my daughter's bedroom.
:rofl:

1. What caused the Japan tsunami in 2011?

The Japan tsunami in 2011 was caused by a massive earthquake with a magnitude of 9.0 that occurred off the coast of Japan. The earthquake triggered a series of large waves that devastated the coast of Japan.

2. How far has the tsunami debris traveled towards Hawaii?

The tsunami debris has traveled approximately 4,000 miles from Japan to reach Hawaii. This is due to the ocean currents and wind patterns that carried the debris across the Pacific Ocean.

3. Is the tsunami debris hazardous to the environment and marine life?

There is potential for the tsunami debris to be hazardous to the environment and marine life. The debris may contain toxic materials, such as oil, chemicals, and plastics, which can harm marine animals and pollute the ocean. However, the extent of the impact is still being studied.

4. How long will it take for the debris to reach Hawaii?

The debris from the Japan tsunami has been reaching Hawaii since 2012 and is expected to continue to wash up on the shores for several more years. However, the amount of debris has significantly decreased over time.

5. What is being done to clean up the tsunami debris in Hawaii?

The state of Hawaii, along with volunteer organizations and international efforts, has been working to clean up the tsunami debris that has reached its shores. This includes beach cleanups, tracking and removal of large debris, and monitoring for potential environmental impacts.