Finding 12 Permutations Commuting with Alpha=(1,2,4,5)

In other words, if you can switch the order of the permutations and still get the same result. In this case, we are looking for permutations that commute with alpha=(1,2,4,5). Some easy ones are the identity permutation (e), (3,6), (1,2), (4,5), (1,4)(2,5), (1,5)(2,4) and (1,3,5)(2,4,6). This gives us a total of 8 permutations that commute with alpha.
SqrachMasda
1) In S6 find 12 permutations that commute with alpha=(1,2,4,5)

i did (5,1,2,4)
(4,5,1,2)
(2,4,5,1)
?i don't know if transposition answers this?
but i also did
(1,5)(1,4)(1,2)
and similar for the ones above

i also used
(1,2,4,5)(2,1)
(1,2,4,5)(4,5)
(1,2,4,5)(2,4)

i'm not sure if these are correct because based on directly above i could get a whole lot more than 12
i'm not sure how to answer this

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first 3 permutations are all the same, so they don't count as 3 distinct answers. In fact, they are all equal to alpha (which obviously commutes with itself). Now, the identity permutation is one answer. But (1 5)(1 4)(1 2), which is one of the other solutions you gave, is exactly (1 2 4 5). Now (1 2 4 5)(2 1) = (1 4 5), which does not commute with (1 2 4 5). In fact, the other two answers you gave also don't work, i.e.(1 2 4 5)(4 5) = (1 2 4) and (1 2 4 5)(2 4) = (1 2 5) do not commute with (1 2 4 5).

So, so far, the only correct answer you've given is [itex]\alpha[/itex], and I've mentioned that you can include [itex]e[/itex] (the identity permuation). There should be some very easy ones you can get, since this is after all [itex]S_6[/itex]. You've got (3 6), and so (1 2 4 5)(3 6) as well. There's 4. See if you can get the other 8. Use the fact that you can compose permuatations with [itex]\alpha[/itex] and (3 6) to get a permutation that commutes with [itex]\alpha[/itex], but make sure to check that the new composition is not equal to one of the one's you've already listed.

i was hinking that they had to be equal, which is why i wrote what i wrote, and i also thought 3 and 6 were fixed, but i guess not. I apparently do no understand what exactly commuting means in this situation. My book mentions nothing except that multiplication of disjoint cycles is commutative. I am more confused and frustrated.

as update to the original, it turns out there is only 8 so i don't know how anybody could have figured 12. I'm going to search online for help on this and get back with my answer

Simply, two permutations a and b commute iff ab = ba.

1. What does "Finding 12 Permutations Commuting with Alpha=(1,2,4,5)" mean?

This phrase refers to finding all possible permutations (rearrangements) of a set of numbers that will commute (give the same result) when multiplied by the permutation (1,2,4,5).

2. How many permutations can commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5)?

There are 12 possible permutations that can commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5).

3. How do you find these 12 permutations?

One way to find these permutations is to write out all possible permutations of the numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5, and then check which ones commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5). Another method is to use mathematical concepts such as group theory to determine the 12 permutations.

4. Why is finding permutations that commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5) important?

This can be important in various fields of mathematics, such as group theory and abstract algebra. It can also have practical applications, for example in cryptography and coding theory.

5. Are there any patterns or rules for finding permutations that commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5)?

Yes, there are patterns and rules that can be used to find permutations that commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5). For example, if we take the permutation (1,2,4,5) and raise it to a power, we will get a permutation that commutes with the original permutation. Additionally, any permutation that has the numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5 in the same positions will commute with Alpha=(1,2,4,5).