Is a Flexible Drive Shaft Suitable for 90° Motion Transmission?

In summary: RPM. It does not have backlash issues and can be used in a simple and precise multiple rails positioning system for lasers. However, it may not have the best efficiency compared to geared solutions. A possible alternative could be a 90° motion transfer mechanism used in lineshaft systems, which was designed to turn both shafts in the same direction and was enclosed in a cast iron box running in oil. This technology may no longer be in use, but it was once a significant invention by engineers.
nitai108
Hello,
I need to transmit motion at a 90° angle, I was considering worm gears or bevelled gears, but then I thought about a flexible drive shaft, it would be cheaper and wouldn't have any backslash issues. I need to transmit motion at a 90° angle with a low toque and low RPM, the application is a simple and precise multiple rails positioning system for a few lasers.
Do you think I could use a flexible drive shaft for my application? Would it be harder to turn, compared to a geared solution? Would I have any disadvantages?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think those things do not transmit motion with good efficiency.
InputMotion ≠ OutputMotion.

I once saw a 90* motion transfer mechanism that had been used in lineshaft systems. It's input shaft drove a reciprocating arm via a ball joint which, in turn, caused a central shaft to oscillate. This oscillating motion was imparted to a second reciprocating arm which drove the output shaft. The neat thing about it, I thought, was that both shafts turned in the same direction. The mechanism was enclosed in a cast iron box and ran in oil. of course, lineshafts went out of style a century ago, but some sharp engineers worked on them and invented some pretty inpressive technology. I don't know where you'd find info or pix of this; nobody anymore is much interested in outdated technology except oddballs like me!

Rick A

1. What is "90° motion transmission"?

90° motion transmission is a term used to describe the transfer of motion at a 90 degree angle. This is often seen in mechanical systems where a rotary motion is converted into a linear motion or vice versa.

2. How is 90° motion transmission achieved?

90° motion transmission can be achieved through various mechanisms such as gears, pulleys, belts, and chains. These mechanisms are designed to transfer motion at a right angle, allowing for efficient power transmission in machines and systems.

3. What are the advantages of 90° motion transmission?

There are several advantages of 90° motion transmission, including its ability to change the direction of motion, transmit power over long distances, and provide a compact and efficient design. It also allows for the use of smaller and lighter components, reducing the overall weight and cost of a system.

4. What factors should be considered when designing for 90° motion transmission?

When designing for 90° motion transmission, it is important to consider factors such as the type of motion being transmitted, the amount of power required, the speed and torque of the system, and the efficiency of the chosen mechanism. The materials and manufacturing processes used should also be carefully selected to ensure durability and reliability.

5. Can 90° motion transmission be used in different industries?

Yes, 90° motion transmission is widely used in various industries including automotive, aerospace, robotics, and manufacturing. It is a fundamental concept in mechanical engineering and is essential for the proper functioning of many machines and systems.