Blackbody Radiation - Entropy and Internal Energy

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the free energy of black body radiation but was unable to do so due to a problem with calculating the integral.
chris_avfc

Homework Statement

Expression for the entropy and internal energy of black body radiation.

Using the below relations:

Homework Equations

Total free energy for black body:
$$ F = (k_b TV/\pi^2) \int k^2 ln[1-exp(-\hbar ck/k_b T)]dk $$
Relationship between partition function and internal energy:
$$ E = -\partial ln(z)/ \partial \beta $$

Where ##\beta## is the inverse temperature given by:
$$ \beta = (1/k_b T) $$
Relationship between the free energy, internal energy and entropy:
$$ F = E - TS $$

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use ## F = E - TS## rearranged to

$$ S = (E-F)/T $$

Then substitute the relations in and calculate.

I make a little progress until I hit the ## F ## part, the integral gives me some problems as I am having trouble calculating it, I tried using Wolfram Alpha as a guide but it won't actually give me an answer which suggested to me that I'm going about it the wrong way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use a u-substitution, like

[tex] u = \frac{\hbar c k}{k_B T} [/tex]

then you get

[tex]dk = \frac{k_B T}{\hbar c} du[/tex]

and the integral becomes

[tex] F = \left( \frac{V}{\pi^2}\right) \left(\frac{(k_B T)^4}{(\hbar c)^3} \right) \int u^2 \ln{\left(1-e^{-u}\right)}du[/tex]

which you can easily use Wolfram Alpha to solve

Don't forget the limits of integration. The variables are independent of photon's (angular) frequency.

kreil said:
Use a u-substitution, like

[tex] u = \frac{\hbar c k}{k_B T} [/tex]

then you get

[tex]dk = \frac{k_B T}{\hbar c} du[/tex]

and the integral becomes

[tex] F = \left( \frac{V}{\pi^2}\right) \left(\frac{(k_B T)^4}{(\hbar c)^3} \right) \int u^2 \ln{\left(1-e^{-u}\right)}du[/tex]

which you can easily use Wolfram Alpha to solve

Oh man, I really should have seen that...

dextercioby said:
Don't forget the limits of integration. The variables are independent of photon's (angular) frequency.

Yeah I have the limits wrote down, I just didn't know how to show them in the post.

Code:
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 dx

[tex]=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 dx[/tex]

You can also right click any TeX equation to see the code that produced it.

1. What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody, which is an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it. It is often described as the thermal radiation emitted by an object at a certain temperature, and its spectrum depends only on the temperature of the object.

2. How does blackbody radiation relate to entropy?

Blackbody radiation is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As the temperature of a blackbody increases, the amount of radiation it emits also increases, leading to an increase in entropy. This is because there are more possible ways for the energy to be distributed at higher temperatures, resulting in a higher level of disorder.

3. What is internal energy?

Internal energy refers to the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. In the context of blackbody radiation, it refers to the energy contained within the object emitting the radiation.

4. How does internal energy affect blackbody radiation?

The internal energy of an object affects its blackbody radiation by determining its temperature, which in turn determines the intensity and spectrum of the radiation emitted. As the internal energy of an object increases, its temperature and the amount of radiation it emits also increase.

5. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a mathematical relationship that describes the amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody at a certain temperature. It states that the total energy emitted per unit area per unit time is proportional to the fourth power of the temperature, and is represented by the equation E = σT^4, where E is the energy, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.