Solving Eigenvalues: Complex Numbers Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses converting numbers to their polar form and the question of whether to add ∏ when the angle is negative. The expert suggests that adding 2∏ is equivalent to multiplying by -1.
izzy93
I have solutions for eigenvalues to be

λ1=i-1 = √2 e^i(3∏/4) and
λ2=i+1 =√2 e^i(∏/4)

How do you go from the i-1 to the next bit for both?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,

Just wondering for λ1=i-1 = √2 e^i(3∏/4) , I get the angle phi to be -∏/4 so if the angle is negative do you take it as a rule to add on ∏?

izzy93 said:
Thanks,

Just wondering for λ1=i-1 = √2 e^i(3∏/4) , I get the angle phi to be -∏/4 so if the angle is negative do you take it as a rule to add on ∏?

The angle isn't -∏/4.
If it were, the corresponding expression would be 1 - i.

izzy93 said:
Thanks,

You can add 2∏. When you add ∏, you are multiplying by -1.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of a linear transformation. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent how a linear transformation stretches or compresses a vector, while eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are only scaled by the eigenvalue.

2. How do you solve for eigenvalues?

The process for solving for eigenvalues involves finding the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, setting it equal to zero, and then solving for the roots of the polynomial. This will give you the eigenvalues for that matrix.

3. What are complex numbers and how do they relate to eigenvalues?

Complex numbers are numbers that include both a real and imaginary component. They are often used in solving eigenvalues because they can represent both the magnitude and direction of a vector, which is important in understanding eigenvectors.

4. What is the significance of the complex solutions in solving eigenvalues?

The complex solutions in solving eigenvalues represent the rotation component of a linear transformation. This is important because it allows us to understand how a matrix can not only stretch or compress a vector, but also rotate it in space.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving eigenvalues with complex numbers?

Yes, there are many practical applications of solving eigenvalues with complex numbers. Some examples include analyzing the stability of a system in physics, understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, and determining the natural frequency of oscillating systems in engineering.