Advice on Jobs for Maths/Model Graduates in London

• Thread starter sunnyd89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: There are many resources available online, or you can visit a software store and speak with a salesperson.In summary, this person graduated from a math and science program and wants to change fields. They list 54 companies they are interested in interviewing with and provide a list of buzzwords and phrases they used in their CV. They suggest that if you want help finding a recruiter, you should not list "advice" as your occupation, but rather "advisor" or "professional advisor".
sunnyd89
Hi everyone, I have just joined PF.

I just had wanted a bit of advise. I have a BSc in Mathmatics, Statistics & Computing and an MSc in Applied Mathematical Modelling with Scientific Computing. Graduated almsot 3 years ago. I have been working in admin/finance roles since then. At the moment I work in finance (Accounts Reciable). I want to change fields, something more in line with my MSc. I know a change of field is not easy (and have been thinking about it for a while but have had other personal things going on). Something in London would be ideal, as I live here already.

I have started researching into the types of fields I can go into (however, I know there is more). Firstly, some modules I was interested were in applied maths: actuary, calculus, computation fluid dynamics, finite element anlaysis, scientific modelling. My ideal job would involve these sorts of things. I have researched and a few fields I can go into are: actuary, risk, aerospace & defense contractors, enineering/data scientist/research scientist, scientific/mathematical modelling and simulation, & forensics.

Does anyone knows of any other types of fields I can go into, or any top companies with roles suited for me, or are there also engineering/applied mathematical related agencies I could contact. If there is any other advise please can leave me it would help.

Also, I am amending my CV to become more Applied Maths. Is the following ok for a profile at the beginning or is it too general:
"I am a self-motivated, ambitious and diligent mathematical science postgraduate. I have experience in finance which required extensive data analysis, reporting and initiative whilst multi-tasking, prioritising and paying attention-to-detail. My passion is to progress intellectually and professionally in the applied mathematical/scientific modeling industry, with a dynamic and inspiring company that supplements my versatility and abilities. I am willing to learn and embrace challenging environments."

I have a list of 54 companies/agencies so far. What do people reccomend/not recommend?
100% admin recruitment ltd
1pgr
agility global ltd
anne jagger
arml
AS recruitment
aspiredata
BAE
blackswangroup
Bluefire engineering and technical
blueglue
brimstone-consulting
carlton-recruitment
celcius recruitment
datatech
drs commodities
EDF
Elite employee ltd
Elliot marsh headhunters
F1
first actuarial
grad-central
graduate-recruitment
greenwich
grovelands
harcourt matthews
hudson
Hunter and chase – national and international headhunters
Hw search and selection ltd
icap
Intec (uk) ltd
jam recruitment
Kbc associates
Linkpoint resources limited
M8 recruitment ltd
Mana resourcing ltd
manpower
Mechanical and electrical agency
monarchit
parallel consulting
park siderec
placement-solutions
Premier group recruitment
Prospects
red snapper group
resourcing group
stiles recruitment
Temp find
The advocate group
Unity recruitment
walkerjoice-recruitment
your recruit

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, are you looking to get work through a recruiter or are you willing to attempt negotiating through the HR divisions themselves?

Many of the the firms you list are from companies that simply farm your resume or CV to other companies. Such recruiters are often used for extremely specialized or high profile jobs. However, you are still very much a generalist. I'm not sure how well such recruiters can help you in your situation.

sunnyd89 said:
Hi everyone, I have just joined PF.

I just had wanted a bit of advise.

You say you live in London. You haven't even got the excuse of living in the US or somewhere!

I wouldn't give a job to anybody who doesn't know the difference between "advise" and "advice"! :tongue2:

sunnyd89 said:
Is the following ok for a profile at the beginning or is it too general:
"I am a self-motivated, ambitious and diligent mathematical science postgraduate. I have experience in finance which required extensive data analysis, reporting and initiative whilst multi-tasking, prioritising and paying attention-to-detail. My passion is to progress intellectually and professionally in the applied mathematical/scientific modeling industry, with a dynamic and inspiring company that supplements my versatility and abilities. I am willing to learn and embrace challenging environments."
To be honest: It's a nice bag of buzzwords and hollow phrases with a spice of "I worked in finance where I did data analysis". No offense meant. But for me this is the type of text that explains how scientists can send dozens of applications without getting an interview.

sunnyd89 said:
Is the following ok for a profile at the beginning or is it too general:

I'll give you my brutal translation of that, sitting on the other side of the interview as an engineer:

"In my time in finance I've learned how to play management buzzword bingo".

If you want to do CFD or FE analysis, you had better give prospective employers the idea you actually know something about them, - not just the mathematical theory behind them, but how to use some of the industry standard programs.

A good way to self-evaluate that type of "personal statement" is to ask yourself if anybody would ever write the opposite, i.e. "I am an unmotivated, unambitious and lazy mathematical science postgraduate", etc. If not, it is content-free.

If you want to convince me you are motivated, versatile, etc, follow the principle of "don't tell me, show me".

1. What career options are available for maths/model graduates in London?

There are many career opportunities available for maths/model graduates in London. Some popular options include data analysis, actuarial science, financial analysis, risk management, and statistical modeling. Many companies in various industries, such as finance, technology, and consulting, are looking for individuals with strong mathematical and analytical skills.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in this field?

Some important skills for a successful career in this field include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and proficiency in programming languages like Python and R. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working in a collaborative environment.

3. Are there any specific companies or industries that hire maths/model graduates in London?

There is a wide range of companies and industries that hire maths/model graduates in London. Some popular options include banks, insurance companies, tech companies, consulting firms, and government agencies. It ultimately depends on your specific interests and career goals.

4. What salary can I expect as a maths/model graduate in London?

The salary for maths/model graduates in London can vary depending on the specific job role, company, and industry. However, on average, entry-level positions in this field can start at around £25,000 to £30,000 per year, with opportunities for salary increases and advancement with experience and additional qualifications.

5. What further education or qualifications can enhance my job prospects as a maths/model graduate in London?

Pursuing further education or qualifications can certainly enhance your job prospects as a maths/model graduate in London. Some options include obtaining a master's degree in a related field, such as statistics or data science, or obtaining professional certifications in areas like financial modeling or risk management. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience through internships or research projects can also make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.