Project Ideas for Combining Embedded Systems and VLSI Design

In summary: That means I have to choose only one domain embedded or Vlsi I can't complete one project with both vlsi and embedded systemHow about some sort of home controller? like a NEST only simpler or better or for managing other things?
vead
respected members

I need advice I am taking course on embedded system & vlsi design I have to make project but here is two domain (embedded system & vlsi design ) where I can make project on one domain VLSI or EMBEDDED. but for learning purpose I want to make project where I can use both things embedded system & vlsi design

can anyone suggest me project where I can use both things embedded system & vlsi design

Physics news on Phys.org
vead said:
respected members

I need advice I am taking course on embedded system & vlsi design I have to make project but here is two domain (embedded system & vlsi design ) where I can make project on one domain VLSI or EMBEDDED. but for learning purpose I want to make project where I can use both things embedded system & vlsi design

can anyone suggest me project where I can use both things embedded system & vlsi design

Are you going to use an FPGA or CPLD to prototype your VLSI circuit? What kind of embedded application are you interested in prototyping?

berkeman said:
Are you going to use an FPGA or CPLD to prototype your VLSI circuit? What kind of embedded application are you interested in prototyping?

I have burnt verilog code on FPGA and I have made some project using 8051 controller

vead said:
I have burnt verilog code on FPGA and I have made some project using 8051 controller

What are your thoughts so far for your project? Embedded systems usually have sensors and/or actuators. Maybe you could make something using motors and sensors. Maybe like a robot or automated something...

berkeman said:
What are your thoughts so far for your project? Embedded systems usually have sensors and/or actuators. Maybe you could make something using motors and sensors. Maybe like a robot or automated something...

ok That means I have to choose only one domain embedded or Vlsi I can't complete one project with both vlsi and embedded system

How about some sort of home controller? like a NEST only simpler or better or for managing other things?

1. What is an embedded system?

An embedded system is a computer system that is designed to perform a specific task or function within a larger system. It is typically a combination of hardware and software that is built into a device or machine and is not intended to be modified or used for general computing purposes.

2. What is VLSI design?

VLSI (Very Large-Scale Integration) design is the process of creating integrated circuits (ICs) by combining thousands or millions of transistors onto a single chip. It involves designing the layout, logic, and physical components of the chip to optimize its performance, power consumption, and cost.

3. What are the main components of an embedded system?

The main components of an embedded system include a microcontroller or microprocessor, memory (ROM and RAM), input/output devices, and various sensors and actuators. They may also include power supplies, communication interfaces, and an operating system depending on the specific application.

4. How are embedded systems and VLSI design used in the real world?

Embedded systems and VLSI design are used in a wide range of applications such as consumer electronics, automotive systems, medical devices, industrial automation, and many more. They are essential in creating efficient and reliable systems that can perform complex tasks while consuming minimal power and space.

5. What are the key differences between embedded systems and general-purpose computers?

While both embedded systems and general-purpose computers are computer systems, they have some key differences. Embedded systems are designed for a specific task or function and have a fixed set of functions, while general-purpose computers are designed for a variety of tasks and can be programmed for different functions. Embedded systems also have limited resources such as memory and processing power compared to general-purpose computers. Additionally, embedded systems are typically more compact, specialized, and may not have a user interface like a traditional computer.