Help with degree/career choice

• Thread starter kev.thomson96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who is interested in pursuing a career in science, specifically in the fields of physics and engineering. They are interested in various areas such as nuclear and particle physics, robotics, outer space, artificial intelligence, and mechanical engineering. They are also interested in working in research and development, as well as creating drones, space exploration vehicles, and contributing to automation and physics. They are considering various bachelor degrees, including mechatronics, aerospace engineering, robotics, mechanical engineering, and physics. They are still in high school and focused on studying for the SAT, but are looking for a more applied field rather than pure research. They have questions about the different degrees and which one would best suit their interests.
kev.thomson96
Good day to everyone reading this,

I thought I would know what degree I would want to pursue after high school, however I have not decided what I should do in the future. My interest in science arose a little over an year ago, especially in physics, after I tried amateur karting. Before, I was an above average student in any science, nothing spectacular. Last year, I did a lot better in Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry, which reinforced my idea to pursue a career within science. I realized I was interested in pretty much everything that involved Physics and Engineering, but I have narrowed it down to this:

Basically, it's another scientist or engineer thread.

What I am interested in: (Not in a set order)
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Robots
- Outer space
- Artificial Intelligence
- Mechanical Engineering (and its branches)

Things I want to do: (Not in a set order)
- Work mostly in R&D
- Make Drones, Quadcopters, Multirotors
- Make Space exploration vehicles
- Contribute to Automation and Physics, if possible
- Make a stable income

Bachelor degrees I have considered: (off the top of my head)
- Mechatronics
- Aerospace Engineering
- Robotics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Physics
- Dual Degrees:
I have seen Robotics and Mechatronics (Would that be worth it?), Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and others.

Notes:
- I am still in high school, I have one more year to complete.
- I am still focused on studying for SAT, so I haven't done much research beyond universities and degrees. And my own thoughts.
- I am looking to do more of applied, than ''pure'' research.

Questions:
- Can I do all of the ''Things I want to do'' by getting a bachelor's degree(and eventually a major) in one particular field?
- What degree of the listed (and others that I did not mention) suits me the best?
- What bachelor degrees are centered around Nuclear and Particle Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You sound like someone who likes to build things. A degree in computer science, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering will suit you better than a physics degree.

As a physics major myself, sometimes I envy engineering students because their projects involves building stuff, which can be more fun and fulfilling than doing experiments.

1. What degree should I pursue to have a successful career?

The answer to this question will depend on your personal interests and strengths, as well as the job market demand for certain degrees. It is important to research and explore different options to find a degree that aligns with your passion and future goals.

2. How do I determine which career path is right for me?

One way to determine which career path is right for you is to assess your skills, values, and interests. You can also try job shadowing or internships to gain hands-on experience in different fields. Additionally, talking to professionals and conducting informational interviews can provide valuable insights into different career options.

3. Do I need to have a specific degree to pursue a certain career?

While some careers may require a specific degree, many others are open to a variety of majors. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career and see if there are any specific courses or experiences that may be necessary. You can also consider pursuing a minor or taking elective courses to gain relevant skills and knowledge.

4. How can I ensure that my degree will lead to a successful career?

There is no guarantee that a particular degree will lead to a successful career. However, you can increase your chances by choosing a degree that aligns with your interests and skills, and by gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs. Networking and building a strong professional network can also be beneficial in finding job opportunities.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a degree and career?

There are many resources available, including career counseling services, career assessments, online tools, and college advisors. You can also attend career fairs, job shadowing events, and informational interviews to gain more insights into different careers. Additionally, researching job market trends and talking to professionals in your desired field can provide valuable information for your decision-making process.