Science-Engineering Career Choice

In summary, the person is a college student who is unsure about their major and career path. They are interested in multiple fields, including physics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, and more, but are not sure if they are more suited for engineering or science. They are currently majoring in mechanical engineering but still feel unsure and are seeking advice from others who have been in a similar situation. To figure out what job is right for them, they plan on speaking to people who are working or have worked in their list of interested jobs.
Huffo35
I'm about to start my second year of college, and I'm very conflicted and confused about I want my major and career path to be. This is partly because I'm interested in multiple fields (physics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, I could keep going) and partly because my personality and skills aren't clearly suited for one particular field. When I try to analyze whether I would enjoy engineering or science more, I run into a problem: it's not clear whether I'm more theoretically-minded or practically-minded. I look at the fact that I really enjoy the theory I'm learning in physics and calculus classes, but then I realize that in order to understand this theory, I'm always thinking in real-world, practical examples. This makes it seem to me like I would enjoy engineering. However, I then look at the the fact that I am uninterested in (and poorly-skilled at) practical design. I've never really built things, worked on a car, etc., and in a Rube Goldberg-type project I did in high school, I felt lost for the most part. This all makes me confused as to whether engineering or science is better for me. Currently, I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, since it's very broad and leaves me with a lot of options. However, I still feel uneasy without direction and specific career goals. I was wondering if any of you have been in a situation like this and, if so, how did you find out what was right for you? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down a list of jobs that you are interested in.

Then speak to people who are working or had worked in these jobs. Ask them questions to know more about the job and whether you are suitable or not.

If you realize you are not interested, then move on to another job in your list. Repeat this process until you have narrowed down your options.

What is a science-engineering career?

A science-engineering career is a profession that involves the application of scientific principles and theories to design, create, and improve various systems, processes, and products. It combines the fields of science and engineering to solve complex problems and develop innovative solutions.

What are the different types of science-engineering careers?

There are many different types of science-engineering careers, including biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, and many more. Each type of career focuses on a specific area of science and engineering, and may involve different tasks and responsibilities.

What education and skills are required for a science-engineering career?

Most science-engineering careers require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as engineering, physics, chemistry, or biology. Some careers may also require a graduate degree or specialized training. In addition to technical knowledge, strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are essential for a successful science-engineering career.

What types of industries and companies hire science-engineering professionals?

Science-engineering professionals are in high demand in a wide range of industries, including healthcare, technology, manufacturing, energy, and environmental services. They may also work in government agencies, research institutions, and consulting firms. Companies that hire science-engineering professionals include large corporations, start-ups, and government organizations.

What are the benefits of pursuing a science-engineering career?

There are many benefits to pursuing a science-engineering career, including high job demand, competitive salaries, opportunities for advancement, and the ability to make a positive impact on society. Science-engineering professionals also have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and collaborate with other experts in their field.