Calculating Ocean Heat Capacity to Raise Temp 1°C

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the time it would take for a heat flux of 3W/m^2 to raise the average temperature of the ocean by 1 degree Celsius. The specific heat of seawater is mentioned to be 4,000 joules, but there is confusion about the units of a Watt and the time aspect of energy. The calculation for the time using the given values is incorrect due to incorrect units.
sean1234
Hi,
If a heat flux of of 3W/ meter squared covered the 3.6 X 10^14 meters squared ocean surface and contributed only to a change in temp, how many years to raise average temp of ocean 1 degree C?
I calculated the specific heat of seawater which is 4,000 joules. I am stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
What units make up a Watt?

Also, the units for specific heat are going to be [tex]\frac{J}{kg*K}[/tex]

Last edited:
Watt= 1 joule/sec

I'm confused with the time aspect of energy.

I multiplied (3W)(3.6x10^14)=1.08 x 10^15W = 1.08 x10^15 joules/ sec

(3.6 x 10 ^14)(4000) = 1.44 x 10^18 m^2joules is energy required

I figured t(1.08x10^15)=1.44 x 10^18

But I know this isn't right.

Sorry I had to leave you last night...

Look at the units of what you are doing. You said you calculated Cp for seawater. Where did you get that, especially since it's units are incorrect?

What is ocean heat capacity?

Ocean heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a given volume of seawater by 1°C.

Why is it important to calculate ocean heat capacity?

Calculating ocean heat capacity allows scientists to understand how much heat the ocean can absorb and how it may impact global climate change.

How is ocean heat capacity calculated?

Ocean heat capacity is calculated by multiplying the specific heat capacity of seawater (which is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius) by the mass of the water and the change in temperature.

What factors can affect ocean heat capacity?

The salinity, temperature, and depth of the water can all affect ocean heat capacity. Additionally, ocean currents, evaporation, and precipitation can also impact heat absorption and distribution in the ocean.

How does ocean heat capacity relate to sea level rise?

Ocean heat capacity plays a crucial role in sea level rise as warmer water expands and takes up more space, leading to an increase in sea level. Additionally, melting glaciers and ice sheets due to increased ocean temperatures also contribute to sea level rise.