How can rationalizing the numerator help solve limits algebraically?

• Thread starter famallama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a limit as x approaches 0 of a fraction with a square root in the numerator. The solution involves rationalizing the numerator and simplifying the expression to find the limit. Some discussion is had about the purpose of rationalizing and a hint is given to help with the simplification process.
famallama

Homework Statement

Evaluate limit as x approaches 0 of (square root(4+x^4)-2)/x^4) algebraically by rationalizing the numerator. Show details

The Attempt at a Solution

I rationalized the numerator and i see it as there is a root in the denominator now which is when i was taught to rationalize

Physics news on Phys.org
Some time ago, we had a question on this forum basically asking why you always rationalize the numerator! The answer is, of course, that you don't always- although for many basic algebra problems, such as adding fractions, that helps. I have seen texts that devote quite a lot of time to rationalizing the numerator as well.

Okay,if you have rationalized the numerator, you will have a square root in the denominator- but that doesn't hurt. It should be of the form [itex]\sqrt{4+ x^4}+ 2[/itex] which goes to 4, not 0, as x goes to 2. What happens to the rest of the fraction? That's the important thing!

that doesn't really help. I get x^4 -4(sqrt(4+x^4)) +6 on top of x^4(sqrt(4+x^))-2x^4

Hi famallama! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :smile:)
famallama said:
that doesn't really help. I get x^4 -4(sqrt(4+x^4)) +6 on top of x^4(sqrt(4+x^))-2x^4

erm … the object is to have no √ on the top :redface:

Hint: your factors had a - on the top and the bottom … try it with a + :smile:

famallama said:
Well, you shouldn't. Since "rationalizing" the numerator should get rid of the square root in the numerator, it appears you haven't done that properly. If you would show your work we might be able to clarify things.

What is the purpose of rationalizing the denominator in a limit?

Rationalizing the denominator in a limit allows us to remove any square roots or other radicals from the denominator, which can help us evaluate the limit more easily.

Can all limits be solved by rationalizing?

No, not all limits can be solved by rationalizing. This method is only applicable to limits with radicals in the denominator.

What are the steps to solve a limit by rationalizing?

The steps to solve a limit by rationalizing are:1. Identify the limit with a radical in the denominator.2. Multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the radical.3. Simplify the resulting expression.4. Evaluate the limit.

Does rationalizing the denominator change the value of the limit?

Rationalizing the denominator does not change the value of the limit. It only simplifies the expression and makes it easier to evaluate the limit.

Are there any limitations to using rationalizing to solve limits?

Yes, there are limitations to using rationalizing to solve limits. This method can only be used for limits with radicals in the denominator and may not work for more complex limits with multiple variables or trigonometric functions.