Determining acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion

In summary, the problem involves a mass oscillating on a spring with a given period and initial conditions. The equations for acceleration, velocity, and position are used to solve for the magnitude of acceleration at a specific time, with the help of the relationship between frequency and period. The phase change and amplitude are also determined using the given information.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

A mass is oscillating on a spring with a period of 4.85 s. At t = 0 the mass has zero speed and is at x = 9.90 cm. What is the magnitude of the acceleration at t = 1.40 s?

Homework Equations

a=-w2x
x(t)=Acos(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation for acceleration by solving for w in the equation dealing with position, but I don't have the phase change constant, and otherwise I have no idea how to begin going about this problem. I need a push in the right direction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
howsockgothap said:
I tried using the equation for acceleration by solving for w in the equation dealing with position,
The problem statement gives you the period of oscillation, T = 4.85 s.

I'm sure you also know that the angular frequency, ω = 2Πf.

What's the relationship between f and T?
but I don't have the phase change constant, and otherwise I have no idea how to begin going about this problem. I need a push in the right direction!
You have equations for a(t) and x(t) already. Find another equation for v(t). Use your two initial conditions to solve for A and Φ. :wink:

Ok so I know that w=2pi/T

I also have the equation v=-wAsinwt

But my initial time is 0 so that simply cancels all my work out... Is there some other velocity equation I should be using? Or should I be combining two equations I already have?

howsockgothap said:
Ok so I know that w=2pi/T
Very nice. :approve:
I also have the equation v=-wAsinwt
almost, but not quite.
v = -ωAsin(ωt + Φ)​

Okay... but since at t=0 the object has no velocity, doesn't this mean that it is at it's maximum displacement and therefore there is no phase change?

howsockgothap said:
Okay... but since at t=0 the object has no velocity, doesn't this mean that it is at it's maximum displacement and therefore there is no phase change?
Yes, it certainly does. :approve: Although it could be at the negative of the maximum too, but it doesn't matter too much for this problem.

But not all future problems will be as simple as this one. So if you want to show that the phase offset is zero, you should be able to prove it mathematically.

Start with
v = -ωAsin(ωt + Φ),​
and plug in one of your initial conditions, (t = 0, v = 0)
0 = -ωAsin(0 + Φ),​
Divide both sides of the equation by -ωA.
Take the arcsin of both sides of the equation.

What does that tell you about Φ?

Once you know Φ, you can do a similar operation using the position equation, along with your other initial condition, to mathematically solve for A.

Okay, in theory this would mean that arcsin of 0 = 0 and plugging that into the position equation I'd end up with 9.9/cos(0)=A

So, my phase change is 0 and my amplitude is 9.9, the initial position of x. However, my prof tells me that 9.9 is not the amplitude of motion... So I am obviously missing something. I don't understand how if it's speed is 0 at t=0 it could possibly not have a phase change.

howsockgothap said:
Okay, in theory this would mean that arcsin of 0 = 0 and plugging that into the position equation I'd end up with 9.9/cos(0)=A

So, my phase change is 0 and my amplitude is 9.9, the initial position of x. However, my prof tells me that 9.9 is not the amplitude of motion... So I am obviously missing something. I don't understand how if it's speed is 0 at t=0 it could possibly not have a phase change.
Okay, if we really wanted to be explicit, more explicit equations for simple harmonic motion are (where the equilibrium position is not necessarily at x = 0):

x(t) = x0 + Acos(ωt + Φ)
v(t) = -ωAsin(ωt + Φ)
a(t) = 2Acos(ωt + Φ)​

I was assuming that x0 was zero, because if it's not zero, there's not enough information in the problem statement to solve for the final answer.

Is there any piece of information missing in the problem statement? Maybe there's a figure or something explaining how the position x = 9.90 cm fits in relative to the center-point of oscillation? Is there another part to this problem that gives the system's equilibrium position in terms of x?

All I'm saying is that the way the problem statement is presently worded in this thread, there's not enough information to determine what x0 is.

Actually... that's exactly the way it is written word for word.

However I've just realized the problem... I am corresponding with my prof through e-mail and he thought that we were discussing another problem... What you guys have said is exactly correct and the answer is 0.04 m/s^2, which is what I derived using the equations you suggested.

Thanks for all the help!

1. What is oscillatory motion and how is it different from regular motion?

Oscillatory motion is the back and forth motion of an object around a central point. It is different from regular motion in that it is repetitive and follows a specific pattern or path.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion?

To determine the acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion, you can use the equation a = -w^2x, where a is the acceleration, w is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. Alternatively, you can also use the equation a = -Aω^2sin(ωt), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.

3. Can the acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion can be zero at two points: the maximum displacement (amplitude) from the equilibrium position and when the object is at the equilibrium position.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its acceleration in oscillatory motion?

The mass of the object does not directly affect its acceleration in oscillatory motion. However, it does affect the amplitude and period of the motion. A heavier object will have a larger amplitude and longer period compared to a lighter object with the same force applied.

5. What factors can cause the acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion to change?

The acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion can change due to changes in the force acting on the object, changes in the object's mass, or changes in the characteristics of the oscillatory system (such as changes in the spring constant or length of the pendulum).