Computer Password Protected by the 4th Amendment or the 5th or Neither?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: Not unlike what happened to me with the crook, above.In summary, the conversation discusses the government's ability to compel individuals to provide their computer passwords in case they suspect illicit material is stored in an encrypted part of the hard drive. It is noted that a warrant is necessary for such a search, but there are concerns about the potential violation of the Fifth Amendment and self-incrimination. The conversation also brings up the issue of the recent decision by the seventh circuit court of appeals that allows police to search cell phones without a warrant and the potential problems with forcing suspects to take drug, alcohol, or DNA tests. The conversation concludes with a reminder of the purpose of the Fifth Amendment - to protect against self-incrimination and torture of prisoners
Can the government compel you to provide your computer password if they think there is illicit material stored in an encrypted part of the hard drive? *If there was ever a case when it seemed like the Constitution was no … Continue reading →http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=819&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Not just "the government". You can be compelled to offer up your PC for a search if you are involved in a civil suit.

Sure if they've got a warrant they can demand access to anything the warrant specifies.

Evo said:
Sure if they've got a warrant they can demand access to anything the warrant specifies.
I was suing a crook for back-pay, and he counter-sued for $650,000, and the court let him have a warrant to search my PC because I had used it at home to deal with customers. It was a fishing expedition that yielded nothing of use to him, but it was still a big pain in the butt.

I imagine that one could theoretically be subpoenaed to provide such information, however, I think it could also constitute self incrimination, in which case, they could not compel a person to provide passwords.

Let's not forget that the expressed purpose of the Fifth Amendment was to prevent the torturing of prisoners. Making it a crime to fail to give up a password and sentencing a defendant to prison is essentially the same thing.

- There was a recent decision by the seventh circuit court of appeals that enables the police to search cell phones without a warrant.

- Even forcing a suspect to take a drug test, alcohol test or DNA test is problematic. How are any of these not a form of testifying against oneself? Calling driving a privilege and agreeing to providing a sample as part of that privilege doesn't resolve the problem. Suppose a law were passed that made owning a house a privilege and before buying a house, prospective owners had to sign a statement permitting the police to conduct searches without a warrant?

All passwords are protected by a bad memory.
You can't be forced to give information you can't remember, can you?

turbo said:
I was suing a crook for back-pay, and he counter-sued for $650,000, and the court let him have a warrant to search my PC because I had used it at home to deal with customers. It was a fishing expedition that yielded nothing of use to him, but it was still a big pain in the butt.

Had you refused to provide your password, assuming you had one, what would the court have done? Hold you in contempt? Dismiss the case? Decided in favor of the defendant? Did you consider invoking the 4th or 5th amendments?

skeptic2 said:
Let's not forget that the expressed purpose of the Fifth Amendment was to prevent the torturing of prisoners.

Yes. And, also, without the Fifth Amendment, a suspect can be forced to incriminate one's self for a crime not committed.

1. Is a computer password protected by the 4th Amendment?

The 4th Amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, including the search of personal property. However, whether a computer password is protected by the 4th Amendment is a debated topic. Some argue that a password is a form of personal property and therefore protected, while others argue that it is merely a means of access to information and not protected by the 4th Amendment.

2. Is a computer password protected by the 5th Amendment?

The 5th Amendment protects against self-incrimination and requires that a person cannot be forced to reveal their own incriminating information. In the case of a computer password, whether it is protected by the 5th Amendment depends on the circumstances. If revealing the password would reveal self-incriminating information, then it may be protected. However, if the password only provides access to incriminating information that already exists, the 5th Amendment may not apply.

3. Can the government force someone to reveal their computer password?

This is a complex question that depends on the specific circumstances and laws of the jurisdiction. In general, the government can compel someone to provide their password if they have sufficient evidence that the person is involved in criminal activity and the password will provide access to incriminating evidence. However, if revealing the password would violate the person's constitutional rights, such as the 5th Amendment, it may not be allowed.

4. What if someone forgets their computer password during a criminal investigation?

If someone genuinely forgets their computer password during a criminal investigation, the government may still be able to access the information on the computer through other means, such as using forensic tools. However, if the person is intentionally claiming to forget their password to avoid self-incrimination, they may face consequences for obstruction of justice.

5. Is there any legislation specifically addressing the protection of computer passwords?

Currently, there is no federal legislation specifically addressing the protection of computer passwords. However, some states have laws that protect against the forced disclosure of passwords. In addition, there have been efforts to introduce federal legislation, such as the Password Protection Act, to protect against the forced disclosure of passwords in certain circumstances.