What Causes Transparent Pieces on Skin Texture?

• Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical situation where transparent pieces of onion and decolored green pepper are seen under the skin, resembling an omelet. The speaker asks what others would think if they saw this on their own skin, and the conversation turns to discussing whether or not it could be cancer. However, it is clarified that the conversation is about a dream and not a real-life situation. The speaker is curious about how others would interpret this situation and asks for their thoughts.
causalset
Okay before I proceed, imagine the following kind of omlet. So you have a thin la year of egg with small pieces of green pepper and onion. Also green pepper lost some of its color so its ''light green'', and likewise onion is a bit transparant as opposed to white. Now imagine that it is not the omlet but your own skin! More precisely, you look at the back of your hand and see transparent pieces of ''something'' behind your skin that look similar to onions in the omlet and light green pieces of something that look just like green papers. Now it is not ''on'' your skin, but ''below'' your skin. In other words, it is part of skin's texture! If you see it on yourself, what would you think? Also, the skin itself has the ordinary skin collor --NOT yellow color of omlet or anything like that. So here you are, with your skin of ordinary color, and you have pieces of transparent onion and decolored green pepper stuck behind it. Would you interpret it as cancer or what?

Well I had a dream in which I seen exactly that on the back of my hand. But it was very weird. It looked so natural that part of me thought that it is one of the normal things that happen to skin texture. But then the other part of me felt it was gross. And then finally I realized it is NOT one of the 'normal' things and was wondering if ti was cancer or what. Yet part of me still thought it is not cancer. Well I then asked my mom hoping she will remind me of something ''normal'' that would make the skin look htat way. She was shocked instead and was going to call emergency. I told her not to and was trying to think of something to say to persuade her it is okay; then I woke up.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean this entire post is about a dream?

Evo said:
You mean this entire post is about a dream?

Yes.

causalset said:
Yes.
So, what are you asking?

causalset said:
Okay before I proceed, imagine the following kind of omlet. So you have a thin la year of egg with small pieces of green pepper and onion. Also green pepper lost some of its color so its ''light green'', and likewise onion is a bit transparant as opposed to white. Now imagine that it is not the omlet but your own skin! More precisely, you look at the back of your hand and see transparent pieces of ''something'' behind your skin that look similar to onions in the omlet and light green pieces of something that look just like green papers. Now it is not ''on'' your skin, but ''below'' your skin. In other words, it is part of skin's texture! If you see it on yourself, what would you think? Also, the skin itself has the ordinary skin collor --NOT yellow color of omlet or anything like that. So here you are, with your skin of ordinary color, and you have pieces of transparent onion and decolored green pepper stuck behind it. Would you interpret it as cancer or what?

Well I had a dream in which I seen exactly that on the back of my hand. But it was very weird. It looked so natural that part of me thought that it is one of the normal things that happen to skin texture. But then the other part of me felt it was gross. And then finally I realized it is NOT one of the 'normal' things and was wondering if ti was cancer or what. Yet part of me still thought it is not cancer. Well I then asked my mom hoping she will remind me of something ''normal'' that would make the skin look htat way. She was shocked instead and was going to call emergency. I told her not to and was trying to think of something to say to persuade her it is okay; then I woke up.

Yes, dreams can be weird.

Evo said:
So, what are you asking?

If any of you happened to see it on your skin -- IN IMAGINARY SITUATION -- what would you think?

causalset said:
If any of you happened to see it on your skin -- IN IMAGINARY SITUATION -- what would you think?

:uhh:

Why does it matter if it is imaginary??

I'm not really getting why you're starting a question on a dream... Do you believe that you have cancer because of a dream?

micromass said:

I'm not really getting why you're starting a question on a dream... Do you believe that you have cancer because of a dream?

I never said I have cancer because of the dream. I am not that silly, lol.

I guess I am just asking you guys out of plain curiocity. I mean I am sure there are threads asking you guys about favorite color and stuff like that.

By the way, it is a valid question. Even if no desease looks that way, in the hypothetical situation IF you see it you would have to interpret it as SOMETHING. So it is a very good ''scientific method'' type of question: what would be the first thing you would look for?

Last edited:
causalset said:

I guess I am just asking you guys out of plain curiocity. I mean I am sure there are threads asking you guys about favorite color and stuff like that.
I wouldn't think it was cancer, I'd assume fungus or parasites were growing under my skin.

causalset said:

OK, I'll play along then. If I saw it in an imaginary situation, then I would probably go see an imaginary doctor. Because whatever it is, it's probably not healthy...

causalset said:
By the way, it is a valid question. Even if no desease looks that way, in the hypothetical situation IF you see it you would have to interpret it as SOMETHING. So it is a very good ''scientific method'' type of question: what would be the first thing you would look for?
It's hardly a "scientific method" question unless you have a hypothesis regarding an observation that you are attempting to test via asking the question. Obviously if I could see discoloured lumps beneath my skin I would run to a doctor, possibly even to A&E (US = ER). Why would anyone do any different?

omlet-skin-aliens.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

causalset said:
I find that when I'm dreaming, my state of mind is pretty much to accept all kinds of weird stuff that happens. So I'd probably just think "hey, I never noticed that my skin is like an omelette before", and continue on with the dream.

That happened to me too and I can assure you it's no dream, it's a living nightmare. They say that absinthe can cause hallucinations and I know that's true because I had just finished my 6th glass of it and started to see things. I was hungry and by luck, I stumbled into a restaurant. The beautiful waitress asked me what I would have and I said I'd have an omelet with peppers and onions. Then she started cooking it up for me. While she was cooking it she stroked my hand and sang rough sailor songs to me. Presently the meal was coming together and I could see the yellow yolk, the red peppers and the green onions coming together. Then she said it was done, and that's when I realized I wasn't in a restaurant after all, but in a tattoo parlor.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That happened to me too and I can assure you it's no dream, it's a living nightmare. They say that absinthe can cause hallucinations and I know that's true because I had just finished my 6th glass of it and started to see things. I was hungry and by luck, I stumbled into a restaurant. The beautiful waitress asked me what I would have and I said I'd have an omelet with peppers and onions. Then she started cooking it up for me. While she was cooking it she stroked my hand and sang rough sailor songs to me. Presently the meal was coming together and I could see the yellow yolk, the red peppers and the green onions coming together. Then she said it was done, and that's when I realized I wasn't in a restaurant after all, but in a tattoo parlor.

Thanks for clearing things up. :smile:

It wasn't a dream. And now that you've told everyone of your hidden tastiness... well, that sound at your door is a horde of undead spork-people. You try to cry out but a warm gooiness stifles your scream. Trying to get up and run you find, to your horror, that a thick creamy cheese sauce has you stuck fast in your microsuede saucer chair.

Damn! It would have to be the spanish juevos con queso again...

micromass said:

It is not imaginary, often the unconscious mind projects feelings/situations in the dream phase. I think most of us will have had the dream of teeth falling out, questioning why we have such dreams is an interesting subject. I've never had a dream about my skin, but the appearance and soothing of your mother is remarkable. It could be that you're dealing with things that you don't want to bother your significant others with, but I'm no psychologist.

causalset said:

Hmmm. Well, I think the most interesting thing about your post is that you misspelled omelet.

I once had a dream where I and one of my sisters were in a sort of cave complex with lots of neon signs and they were giving away free jagermeister shots. We were attacked by aliens and we responded with gatling guns that shot nuclear armed projectiles at 130 rounds per minute. Despite this, some of the aliens got through, and we offered them jagermeister shots. They loved them. My sister went home, and I and the aliens went out for pizza. While at the pizza place the aliens were killed by local police. Then I woke up.

My favorite omelet contains fresh chopped parsely and just a hint of salt and pepper.

ThomasT said:
My favorite omelet contains fresh chopped parsely and just a hint of salt and pepper.

OP's mention of ingredients was my first indication that he is truly insane—a thin film...?
I don't like omelets as a rule because that usually implies some kind of over-cooking. The perfect breakfast/brunch/lunch/supper egg dish is 9 eggs, a chopped green pepper, about 1/2 of a grated Spanish onion, some black pepper, 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt (to taste)... all carefully scrambled so that nothing ever turns brown. Half of a loaf of white bread, toasted or not, with a pile of margarine tops it off nicely.
Add more eggs if you have company.

1. What are the common causes of transparent pieces on skin texture?

The most common cause of transparent pieces on skin texture is a condition called keratosis pilaris. This is a common skin condition that causes small, rough bumps to appear on the skin. Another common cause is dry skin, which can cause the skin to appear flaky and transparent.

2. Can diet play a role in causing transparent pieces on skin texture?

Yes, diet can play a role in the appearance of transparent pieces on skin texture. Foods high in sugar and unhealthy fats can contribute to inflammation and skin conditions that can lead to transparent pieces on the skin. Eating a healthy and balanced diet can help improve skin health.

3. How does genetics influence the development of transparent pieces on skin texture?

Genetics can play a role in the development of transparent pieces on skin texture. Some individuals may be more prone to certain skin conditions, such as keratosis pilaris, due to their genetic makeup. However, environmental factors and lifestyle choices also play a significant role in the appearance of transparent pieces on the skin.

4. Are there any medical conditions that can cause transparent pieces on skin texture?

Yes, certain medical conditions can cause transparent pieces on skin texture. These include autoimmune disorders, such as eczema and psoriasis, as well as hormonal imbalances and vitamin deficiencies. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. How can transparent pieces on skin texture be treated?

The treatment for transparent pieces on skin texture will depend on the underlying cause. For conditions like keratosis pilaris and dry skin, moisturizing regularly and using exfoliants can help improve the appearance of the skin. For more serious conditions, medical treatment may be necessary. It is important to consult with a dermatologist for a personalized treatment plan.