Delocalization in metals and conjugated systems

In summary: Metal exists as a hybrid of lewis and Pauli structures, with delocalization occurring due to the increased density of electrons.
Deadevil
Hi Fellow Members,
I am a bit confused about delocalization concept. Since, in organic chemistry we have been told that delocalization only exits between conjugated systems but in inorganic chemistry there is delocalization of electrons in metals with no double bonds. Isn't it confusing, is there a difference between both delocalization. Please help me out.

Thanks
Faisal

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Delocalization means electron is not bounded to an atom, but can travel much further.

It is possible in conjugated pi systems, it is possible in metals. These are very different systems, but the idea remains the same.

My limited understanding of each phenomenon is that in a conjugated system the ground electron configuration leads to delocalization whereas in a conductor the valence electron(s) need(s) to overcome the band gap in order to delocalize.

Not that I feel confident about these things either, but there is no band gap in conductors, that's why they are conductors.

Borek said:
Not that I feel confident about these things either, but there is no band gap in conductors, that's why they are conductors.

Could be, I will do some reading later in the evening. I thought that conductors simply have very small band gaps which are populated at reasonable temperatures according to the Boltzmann distribution. Maybe that is just semantics?

EDIT: Sorry, Borek is correct. Conductors have overlap of valence and conduction bands. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/band.html

Last edited:
Yanick said:
EDIT: Sorry, Borek is correct.

You don't have to be sorry about me being correct :tongue2:

But I am wrong often enough to be happy when I get something right :wink:

Delocalization always occurs when you can draw several equivalent resonance structures. In organic chemistry, this usually only happens for the pi system, although there are exceptions like e.g. CH5+.
In metals, boron compounds etc. delocalization is more commonplace as metals tend to have more orbitals than electrons, so that more bonding possibilities become possible.
What also matters, i the low electronegativity of metals. This allows for the possibility to include ionic resonance structures, so that not only compounds with alternating bonds will show delocalization.

Ok, it means that lewis resonance structure represents only delocalization. bond breakage is only for representation. metal exists as a hybrid structure of lewis resonance structures. Delocalization in metal is due to the increased density of electron in metal. Please Let me know if I am correct.

Thanks

Yes, this is basically Pauli's resonating valence bond description of metallic bonding.

Likes 1 person

1. What is delocalization in metals and conjugated systems?

Delocalization refers to the spread of electrons over a large region in a molecule or material, instead of being confined to a specific bond or atom. In metals, delocalization occurs due to the presence of free-floating delocalized electrons that are not associated with any particular atom. In conjugated systems, such as in organic compounds, pi electrons are delocalized over a series of atoms connected by alternating single and double bonds.

2. How does delocalization affect the properties of metals and conjugated systems?

Delocalization leads to increased stability and conductivity in metals, as the free electrons are able to move easily throughout the material. In conjugated systems, delocalization results in unique optical and electronic properties, making them useful in applications such as organic electronics and photovoltaics.

3. What factors influence the degree of delocalization in metals and conjugated systems?

The degree of delocalization is influenced by factors such as the number of delocalized electrons, the distance between atoms, and the strength of the bonds connecting them. In metals, the number of valence electrons and the lattice structure also play a significant role. In conjugated systems, the presence of electron-donating or electron-withdrawing groups can affect the extent of delocalization.

4. How is delocalization in metals and conjugated systems experimentally observed?

Delocalization can be observed through various experimental techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and UV-visible spectroscopy. These methods provide information about the electron distribution and bonding patterns within a material, allowing researchers to determine the degree of delocalization.

5. What are some real-world applications of delocalization in metals and conjugated systems?

Delocalization plays a crucial role in many industrial and technological applications, including the production of metals for construction and electrical wiring, and the development of new materials for solar cells, LEDs, and organic semiconductors. In biochemistry, delocalization is also important in understanding the properties and functions of biomolecules such as enzymes and DNA.