Why the order of operations?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the order of operations in mathematics is defined to make notation easier, particularly when dealing with expressions involving multiple operations. This is rooted in the fact that multiplication distributes over addition, while addition does not distribute over multiplication. Without the order of operations, notation would become tedious and confusing. It also makes sense in the physical world, as it helps to represent the physical space in which objects exist.
EngWiPy
Hi,

I am wondering why the order of operations where made? Is it the case that mathematics is just a tool of solving physical problems, and hence the order is physically defined? For example, if I say: I took 3 apples from 9 apples and divided the rest to two persons equally, I won't write this mathematically as: 9-3/2 but rather (9-3)/2. Right? In other words, the vague order of operations doesn't appear when solving physical problems using mathematical tools.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "order of operations" isn't really of much mathematical importance. It's just defined to make notation easier (and boy, does it make notation easier!).

For example, something like ##2+3x^3## is well-defined and requires the order of operations to interpret. If we don't like to define some order of operations, then we should denote it as

[tex]2+(3*(x^3))[/tex]

So we would need brackets in order to clarify the order we want to do things in.

Obviously, this notation is very much tedious and annoying. And this is exactly where the order of operations comes in.

Does that answer your question?

Likes 1 person
It's more than just a matter of convenience. It's rooted in the fact that with numbers as most people know them, multiplication distributes over addition: (a+b)*c = (a*c)+(b*c). Addition does not distribute over multiplication (boolean algebra excepted).

micromass said:
The "order of operations" isn't really of much mathematical importance. It's just defined to make notation easier (and boy, does it make notation easier!).

For example, something like ##2+3x^3## is well-defined and requires the order of operations to interpret. If we don't like to define some order of operations, then we should denote it as

[tex]2+(3*(x^3))[/tex]

So we would need brackets in order to clarify the order we want to do things in.

Obviously, this notation is very much tedious and annoying. And this is exactly where the order of operations comes in.

Does that answer your question?

OK, that makes sense. Thanks

D H said:
It's more than just a matter of convenience. It's rooted in the fact that with numbers as most people know them, multiplication distributes over addition: (a+b)*c = (a*c)+(b*c). Addition does not distribute over multiplication (boolean algebra excepted).

I am sorry, I didn't get this one. Can you explain more, please?

What D H is saying is that addition doesn't distribute over multiplication. IOW,
(a * b) + c ##\neq## (a + c) * (b + c)

Multiplication does distribute over addition, so it's true that (a + b) * c = (a * c) + (b * c).

Well, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with having in default, non-parenthesis notation addition bind more tightly than multiplication.

But, the law of distribution would then get an UGLY, and not the least, confusing form:

a+b*c=(a*c)+(b*c)

Letting multiplication have priority over addition simplifies the expression for the distributive law, and prevents a lot of mistakes that would be made if we reversed order of operations.

arildno said:
Well, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with having in default, non-parenthesis notation addition bind more tightly than multiplication.

But, the law of distribution would then get an UGLY, and not the least, confusing form:

a+b*c=(a*c)+(b*c)

Letting multiplication have priority over addition simplifies the expression for the distributive law, and prevents a lot of mistakes that would be made if we reversed order of operations.

Maybe it's confusing because we're more used to the alternative :devil: /DevilsAdvocate

One other motivation is when working with units. You want to write things like ##10m##, and this is some kind of multiplication. So it makes sense to bind multiplication closer together than addition. I mean, you don't want to write

[tex]10 + 20m[/tex]

instead of
[tex](10 + 20)m[/tex]

And something like [tex](10m) + (20m)[/tex] is also not very nice.

Of course, if we make default invisible addition sign, we'd get something not half-bad like this:
ab*c=(a*c)(b*c)
:smile:

arildno said:
Of course, if we make default invisible addition sign, we'd get something not half-bad like this:
ab*c=(a*c)(b*c)
:smile:

I like that! :rofl:

The order of operations does make sense in the physical world. In your example there are 9 apples and 3 apples are taken away before the apples are shared between 2 people. Thus the subtraction 9 apples take away 3 apples to give 6 apples is done first then the 6 apples are shared between the two people who get 3 apples each.

Think of the physical space where the apples are kept.

I put 9 apples on a table, 3 are removed from the table (perhaps they have been eaten), the remaining 6 on the table are shared between 2 people.

In the mathematical model how do we represent the physical space, the table. We could use a line for example 9 - 3 / 2 but in practice we use brackets to represent the physical space in which items exist so (9 - 3)/2

Without brackets we can assume that the numbers represent objects in the same physical space so in this case 9 - 3/2 would model 9 apples on the table from which three half apples have been removed, since - is always applied to two quantities or numbers and the two numbers shown are 9 and 3/2.

jing2178 said:
The order of operations does make sense in the physical world. In your example there are 9 apples and 3 apples are taken away before the apples are shared between 2 people. Thus the subtraction 9 apples take away 3 apples to give 6 apples is done first then the 6 apples are shared between the two people who get 3 apples each.

Think of the physical space where the apples are kept.

I put 9 apples on a table, 3 are removed from the table (perhaps they have been eaten), the remaining 6 on the table are shared between 2 people.

In the mathematical model how do we represent the physical space, the table. We could use a line for example 9 - 3 / 2 but in practice we use brackets to represent the physical space in which items exist so (9 - 3)/2

Without brackets we can assume that the numbers represent objects in the same physical space so in this case 9 - 3/2 would model 9 apples on the table from which three half apples have been removed, since - is always applied to two quantities or numbers and the two numbers shown are 9 and 3/2.

Yes, but you are trying to understand the physical world from the mathematical equations. But if I told you the physical problem and write it mathematically as 9-3/2 you know that the answer would be 3. Right?

S_David said:
Yes, but you are trying to understand the physical world from the mathematical equations. But if I told you the physical problem and write it mathematically as 9-3/2 you know that the answer would be 3. Right?
Wrong.

D H said:
Wrong.

Why?

9 - 1.5

anyway, a good question here would be: Why exactly does multiplication take priority over addition?

lendav_rott said:
Why exactly does multiplication take priority over addition?
It doesn't. If we use parentheses.

The priority rule is established so that we may escape tedious parenthesis writing in about "half" the cases.

arildno said:
It doesn't. If we use parentheses.

The priority rule is established so that we may escape tedious parenthesis writing in about "half" the cases.

Yes, but suppose I'm a complete math illiterate. How would you explain without parenthesis, that 10 - 5 / 5 = 9 not 1? There are no brackets, yet multiplication comes before addition, why is that?

lendav_rott said:
anyway, a good question here would be: Why exactly does multiplication take priority over addition?

It could have developed that arithmetic was calculated from left to right so that 2 + 3 * 5 = 25

and to show that the multiplication needed to be done first then you would write 2 + (3 * 5) = 17

So why not this and why multiplication first? Mathematics did arise from the physical world.

Buying some goods from a market stall selling fruit calculations would be done as
(I'm English so cost in pence)

1 apple @ 10p 10p
5 oranges @ 12p 60p
3 bananas @ 15p 45p

Total 115p

In doing this the multiplications have to be done before the adding.

Also

If you have a boat and 3 crew you have a boat and 3 crew. You are counting different things so adding the 1 for the boat and 3 for the crew does not make sense.

So if you have one Two and three Fives you cannot immediately add the 1 and 3 since you are counting different things Twos and Fives.

However unlike boats and crews Twos and Fives have something in common - Ones.
A Two is two Ones
A Five is five Ones

So if I can change three Fives into a count of Ones then I can count all the Ones and work out how many Ones there are in one Two and three Fives

three Fives is five Ones and five Ones and five Ones, since now I am counting the same things (ie Ones) I can add the fives to get fifteen Ones

so one Two and three Fives is the same as two Ones and fifteen Ones which is seventeen Ones or one Seventeen.

Since you can only add quantities together if you are counting the same item you need to change the Two and three Fives to Ones. To do so the multiplication as repeated addition needs to be done first. So giving multiplication priority over addition makes sense.

Last edited:
lendav_rott said:
Yes, but suppose I'm a complete math illiterate. How would you explain without parenthesis, that 10 - 5 / 5 = 9 not 1? There are no brackets, yet multiplication comes before addition, why is that?
Because modern math education in arithmetics is WRONG and UNPEDAGOGICAL.

Parenthesis use, for arithmetics between more than 2 numbers SHOULD be taught, and children will take it easily.
I have myself taught one child with a diagnosis of slight mental retardation,in half an hour how parentheses are just "math grammar/syntax", that tells what we should do first.

The child found it fun to see how 5-(3-2)=4, whereas (5-3)-2=0.
That is, understanding how parantheses matter.

The major fallacy in today's school teaching is to introduce parentheses at a LATE stage, i.e, when the kids are to be taught how to REMOVE them in order to get a logically equivalent expression i.e, how to rewrite 5-(3-2)=5-3+2, rather than train kids FIRST in calculating 5-(3-2)=5-1=4, and similarly (5-3)-2=2-2=0

Last edited:

1. Why is the order of operations important in mathematics?

The order of operations is important because it provides a set of rules that allows us to solve mathematical expressions in a consistent and correct manner. Without following these rules, different people may come up with different answers for the same expression.

2. What happens if the order of operations is not followed?

If the order of operations is not followed, the result of a mathematical expression may be incorrect. This is because different operations have different levels of precedence and not following the order of operations can lead to a different interpretation of the expression.

3. How was the order of operations determined?

The order of operations was determined through a process of trial and error over many centuries. It is based on the fundamental principles of mathematics, such as the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, and aims to provide a consistent and unambiguous way of solving mathematical expressions.

4. Can the order of operations be changed?

Yes, the order of operations can be changed, but only if parentheses are used to explicitly indicate the desired order. Without parentheses, the standard order of operations must be followed to ensure that the expression is evaluated correctly.

5. Are there any exceptions to the order of operations?

The order of operations is generally considered to be a universal rule, but there are a few exceptions. For example, when solving a math problem involving fractions, the order of operations may differ slightly to account for the division of fractions. However, these exceptions are few and are still based on the same fundamental principles of mathematics.