Register to reply

Difference between large signal and small signal models

by shawrix
Tags: difference, models, signal
Share this thread:
shawrix
Mar12-14, 03:46 PM
P: 18
Please can someone explain the clear concept between large signal model and small signal models in BJT.
Please explain what to assume in large signal and small signals problem solving wise and also the concept.

Amongst vBE, VBE, vbe which is large signal?, small signal? and what we assume in the two models of BJT.

My go:

Is vBE = VBE in large signal model, or is vBE=vbe in small signal model? why do we neglect VBE?

Whats the purpose of two models? Also is BJT at DC equivalent to large signal model?[i know its dumb but you see i need all things cleared]
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Simon Bridge
Mar12-14, 10:15 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,386
As you'd expect - the difference is in the signal size.
Consider the case: ##v(t)=V_1+V_2\sin\omega t##

The signal is the ##V_2\sin\omega t## part and it's "size" is ##V_2##.
If ##V_1>>V_2## then you can use the small signal model.

This situation, the voltage ##v(t)\simeq V_1## is approximately DC.

It is useful because it makes the math simple.
milesyoung
Mar13-14, 02:55 AM
P: 428
I did a small post about this not so long ago:
What is small signal AC analysis?

Usually you go through some material on linearization of nonlinear systems before discussing small-signal analysis.

NascentOxygen
Mar13-14, 04:48 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,137
Difference between large signal and small signal models

Quote Quote by shawrix View Post
Please can someone explain the clear concept between large signal model and small signal models in BJT.
Please explain what to assume in large signal and small signals problem solving wise and also the concept.

Amongst vBE, VBE, vbe which is large signal?, small signal? and what we assume in the two models of BJT.

My go:

Is vBE = VBE in large signal model, or is vBE=vbe in small signal model? why do we neglect VBE?

Whats the purpose of two models? Also is BJT at DC equivalent to large signal model?[i know its dumb but you see i need all things cleared]
In the small-signal model, the base-to-emitter path is represented by a resistance (of value 0.026β/IE or similar). In the large-signal or DC model, the base-to-emitter path is represented as a diode junction, and this often simply approximated as a fixed voltage drop of about 0.6v. It's the large-signal model that is used to calculate biasing. The small-signal model (available in various complexities) is then used for calculations of gain at frequencies of interest.

Register to reply