Can Organic MOSFETs Detect Neurotransmitters?

In summary, IMEC has been working on enhancing the development of organic transistors by replacing the metal/poly-silicon gate in a MOSFET with an enzyme that can detect neuro-transmitters. They have also developed new patterning techniques to improve this technology. This could have potential applications in the treatment of mental illnesses by continuously monitoring and triggering the release of demand-release reuptake inhibitors.
marlon
Hey guys and girls,

Just letting you know some of the work that a few people here at IMEC have been working on. This really is a serious enhancement towards the development of organic transistors. Basically, what happens is the replacement of the metal/poly-silicon gate in a MOSFET by an enzyme which can be used to detect neuro-transmitters. IMEC has created new patterning techniques to enhance this technology.

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously cool stuff.:approve:

Danger said:
Seriously cool stuff.:approve:
I know. Who knows what mental illnes people my be able to cure with this technology:biggrin:

marlon

I can see a good application for folks in my situation. A few different versions of the chips could keep tabs on seratonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine continuously and trigger demand-release reuptake inhibitors. It would be more convenient than remembering when to take my pills.

1. What is a MOSFET with organic gate?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) with organic gate is a type of transistor that uses an organic material as the gate dielectric instead of traditional inorganic materials such as silicon dioxide. This allows for lower operating voltages and potentially lower production costs.

2. What are the advantages of using an organic gate in a MOSFET?

Some potential advantages of using an organic gate in a MOSFET include lower operating voltages, improved performance at high frequencies, and potential cost savings due to simpler manufacturing processes.

3. How does the performance of a MOSFET with organic gate compare to a traditional MOSFET?

The performance of a MOSFET with organic gate can vary depending on the specific materials and manufacturing process used. In general, they tend to have lower current-carrying capacities and higher leakage currents compared to traditional MOSFETs, but they can also have higher switching speeds and lower operating voltages.

4. What are the main applications of MOSFETs with organic gate?

MOSFETs with organic gate are primarily used in low-power and high-frequency applications, such as in mobile devices and wireless communication systems. They are also being researched for potential use in flexible and printable electronics.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using MOSFETs with organic gate?

One major limitation of MOSFETs with organic gate is their lower current-carrying capacity compared to traditional MOSFETs. They also tend to have lower reliability and shorter lifetimes due to the organic materials being more susceptible to degradation. Additionally, the production process for these transistors is still in the early stages and may face challenges in achieving consistent and cost-effective production.