Statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption of a normal distribution in regards to an LC network resonant at a specific frequency and with a certain number of photons. The question arises if this assumption is based on experimental results or is simply a good enough assumption. The speaker also mentions wanting to detect a single photon and determine its momentum within a given distribution, with the goal of obtaining a sine wave through superposition.
Confused2
I don't like to assume things without checking..

Is the distribution really a 'normal distribution' aka Gaussian? Is this an experimental result or a 'good enough' assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be talking about something specific... but left us guessing what.
Could you elaborate ?

Elaborate, yes of course, sorry.. I knew what I meant, at least I thought I did..

In the background is an LC network resonant at f primed with N photons of energy E ( = h f ) . We 'know' from the classical result that that radiation from any point in this network will 'look' sinusoidal. In fairness to the people who are kind enough to give time to this forum the question has to be simple.. the whole population is my problem..

Basically .. when I have detected a single photon at (say) x then I hoped to be able to say that the momentum (indirectly the energy) lies within the range given by a distribution of the form Xbold where Xbold is the answer to the question.

By superposing a lot of Xbolds .. hopefully I'd get my sinewave back. A vain hope? Xbold remains the answer to the intended question.. anything extra is a bonus.

1. What is the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty?

The statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty is a mathematical principle that states it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. This means that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How is the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty different from the original principle?

The statistical form is a more general and mathematical formulation of the original Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. It takes into account the inherent uncertainty and randomness of quantum mechanics, whereas the original principle was based on physical observations.

3. Why is the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty important in quantum mechanics?

It is important because it sets a fundamental limit on our ability to measure and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum theory and our understanding of the microscopic world.

4. Can the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty be violated?

No, the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been supported by numerous experiments. It is not a limit of our technology, but rather a fundamental property of nature.

5. How does the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty impact everyday life?

While the statistical form of Heisenberg Uncertainty may seem abstract and only applicable to the microscopic world, it actually has implications for everyday life. It is the reason why we cannot predict the exact location or behavior of particles, and it also plays a role in technologies such as computer chips and MRI machines.