Help Needed: Linear Interpolation & Numerical Integration Basics

• Thread starter sparsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of linear interpolation and the Newton Raphson method for root finding, as well as numerical integration and the trapezium rule. The request was for a basic understanding of these concepts for a mathematics exam, and several sources were suggested, including the MathWorld website for more complex explanations and MathsRevision for simpler explanations suitable for GCSE and A Level students. The conversation also included an invitation to join a website forum for further help and resources.
sparsh
Could someone please give me a basic idea on the following :

a) Use of linear interpolation . the Newton Raphson method (a geometrical approach)

b) numerical integration . the trapezium rule.

I need to know just the basics for an exam so please be descriptive in your post.

Thanks a lot

Regards
Sparsh

Physics news on Phys.org
There is plenty of litriture on the interent of these subjects beginning at explanations appropriate for GCSE studens (15 year olds) and more complex ones if required.

~H

I want to find something for the 15 year olds. The content on the wolfram site is a bit too complex for a first time understanding .

Trapezium Rule

Simple;
http://www.mathsrevision.net/gcse/pages.php?page=5

Slightly more compex;
http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pages.php?page=44

You wish to used Newton's root finding method which uses Taylor's series for 15 year olds? :bugeye:

~H

Last edited by a moderator:
No actually i need to know it for a mathematics A level paper. (India Standard 12) and am 17 year old .

And thanks a lot. The second article was quite useful.

I invite you to join my website forums at http://www.alchemy-education.com/Board

You guys really help .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is linear interpolation?

Linear interpolation is a method of estimating a value between two known values by drawing a straight line between them and finding the point on that line that corresponds to the desired value.

2. How is linear interpolation used in science?

Linear interpolation is commonly used in science to estimate values between data points, especially when the data is continuous. It is also used in numerical analysis and computer science to approximate solutions to mathematical problems.

3. What is numerical integration?

Numerical integration is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller sections and using mathematical formulas or algorithms to calculate the total area. It is often used when the function cannot be integrated analytically.

4. How is numerical integration used in scientific research?

Numerical integration is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance, to solve problems that involve continuous or complex data. It is also used in computer simulations and modeling to predict outcomes and make informed decisions.

5. What are the advantages of using linear interpolation and numerical integration?

The main advantage of using linear interpolation and numerical integration is that they provide a way to estimate values between data points or solve complex problems that cannot be solved analytically. This allows scientists to make predictions and analyze data that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to obtain. Additionally, these methods are often faster and more efficient than manual calculations.