Understanding Orbital Decay: Kinetic Energy & Mechanical Energy

In summary, orbital decay is the process by which artificial satellites lose kinetic energy and eventually fall back to Earth. It is primarily caused by friction with the atmosphere and collisions with debris or other orbital bodies. Other factors such as the satellite's design, trajectory, and the Earth's magnetic field can also contribute to orbital decay.
slaw
Hey guys.
Could someone please explain orbital decay to me, with reference to the kinetic energy lost, and stuff like that. Also i would like to know how the equation for mechanical energy in orbits is derived, and how it is used.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't orbital decay just friction?

The question is rather vague. orbital decay of waht? Satalites? Moons? Planets? galaxies? Atoms?

Going on the assumption that you mean the decay of artificial satellite orbits, I believe that it's primarily a result of friction with the very tenuous bits of atmosphere that still exist at orbital altitudes, as Senior Frog mentioned. The same thing could happen, however, if the original orbital set-up was flawed. It could also result from collision with other orbital bodies. This is not an area that I'm particularly knowledgeable in, however, so you should wait for other opinions.

Sorry, yep I mean orbital decay of artificial satelltes.

This is determined by orbital height, composition, design and trajectory and debris in path.

Atmospheric drag does slow the satelltes which is determined by height.
Collisions with debris slow down the satelltes,
And the EMF produced by crossing Earth's magnetic field slow down the satelltes.

Good catch on the EMF, quinn. I never thought of that.

1. What is orbital decay?

Orbital decay is the gradual decrease in the altitude and speed of an object in orbit around another object, eventually leading to a collision or re-entry into the atmosphere.

2. What causes orbital decay?

Orbital decay is primarily caused by atmospheric drag, which is the resistance an object experiences as it moves through the Earth's atmosphere. Other factors such as gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies and solar radiation pressure can also contribute to orbital decay.

3. How is the kinetic energy of an orbiting object related to orbital decay?

The kinetic energy of an orbiting object is directly related to orbital decay. As the object loses speed due to atmospheric drag, its kinetic energy decreases. This decrease in kinetic energy leads to a decrease in the object's orbital altitude, eventually leading to orbital decay.

4. What is mechanical energy in the context of orbital decay?

Mechanical energy is the sum of an object's kinetic energy and potential energy. In the context of orbital decay, mechanical energy refers to the total amount of energy an object has as it orbits another object. As an object experiences orbital decay, its mechanical energy decreases due to the loss of kinetic energy.

5. Can orbital decay be prevented?

Orbital decay can be delayed or prevented by periodically adjusting the orbit of the object, either through propulsive maneuvers or by using aerodynamic devices. However, in most cases, orbital decay is inevitable and eventually, the object will re-enter the atmosphere.