Bending Light: Gravity, Invisibility and Orbit

In summary: It is true that light can be lensed by gravity, but it is not possible for light to orbit a massive object like a planet or a star. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity bending light and raises two theoretical questions: whether light can bend around an object to make it invisible and if it is possible to put light into orbit. It concludes that while a black hole can bend light completely around it, it is not possible for light to orbit a massive object like a planet or star.
godspeed
i know that gravity can bend light so from this principle i have two theoretical questions. first, can light bend around an object to the extent that the object becomes invisible? basically what i am thinking is that a beam of light coming form behind it will bend around the side and exit the pull of gravity on the same path it was previously in. secondly, is it possible to put light into orbit? if it were then would we be able to see any point in time since it began orbiting. i know that we would have to actually move into the path of light because otherwise no light would escape form orbit and we wouldn't be able to see anything. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by godspeed
i know that gravity can bend light so from this principle i have two theoretical questions. first, can light bend around an object to the extent that the object becomes invisible? basically what i am thinking is that a beam of light coming form behind it will bend around the side and exit the pull of gravity on the same path it was previously in. secondly, is it possible to put light into orbit? if it were then would we be able to see any point in time since it began orbiting. i know that we would have to actually move into the path of light because otherwise no light would escape form orbit and we wouldn't be able to see anything. thanks.

A black hole is the kind of object that can bend light completely around it. Indeed that is one of the standard features of a black hole, a sphere of orbiting photons, just outside the event horizon.

Originally posted by godspeed

Regarding the light passing the black hole on the other side as if it wasn't there - Not really. The problem is that you can't get all the light to do that and even if you did then the absense of light is a give away of an object. Something is invisible when the light being detected gives no evidence of the object being there.

It's sort of like being outside at night and looking at the lights from a city. Place your hand in front of your face and you will block out the light. What you see is not your hand but the optical effects of your hand blocking light - i.e. you see a shadow and that gives your hand away. In GR the same kind of thing holds true. Suppose there is a black hole between you and the planet Saturn. What you might see is something like this. See the images of Saturn on the front cover of Exploring Black Holes at

http://www.eftaylor.com/general.html

The bottom image on the cover of that text is Saturn. The image above it is what Saturn would look like of there were a black hole in front of it.

Notice the black patch in front of Saturn? That represents the back hole. Notice how Saturn's rings get all twisted? That is the optical effect of the black hole lensing the light around it.

I don't know of any gravitational field which will have the properties that you're looking for.

Last edited:

1. How does gravity affect the bending of light?

Gravity is a force that warps the fabric of space-time, causing objects with mass to attract one another. This distortion of space-time also affects the path of light, causing it to bend as it travels near massive objects like stars and planets.

2. Can light be completely invisible?

Technically, no. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, and all forms of electromagnetic radiation can be detected by instruments like telescopes or cameras. However, it is possible to manipulate light in a way that makes it undetectable to the human eye, giving the illusion of invisibility.

3. How does light bend in orbit?

Light does not actually bend in orbit, but rather it follows the curvature of space-time caused by the massive object around which it is orbiting. This can give the appearance of light bending, but it is actually following a straight path through space-time.

4. Can light travel in a straight line in space?

Yes, light can travel in a straight line in space. In the vacuum of space, there are no particles or objects to cause light to bend, so it will continue to travel in a straight line until it encounters a gravitational field or other object.

5. How does the bending of light affect our perception of the universe?

The bending of light can greatly impact our perception of the universe, as it can cause objects to appear distorted or in different locations than they actually are. This can make it challenging for astronomers to accurately observe and study distant objects, and can also lead to optical illusions such as mirages.