Global Warming/Climate Change: How Serious is the Threat?

In summary, the majority of people are concerned about the global warming/climate change issue and think it is a serious problem.

How serious do you believe "global warming/climate change" will be?

• There is no concern; the change will be minimal and insignificant in our lifetime.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Minor concern; changes will be measureable but slow enough so that we will adapt easily.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Moderate concern; changes will be severe in some places but the human race will continue as always.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Grave concern; severe changes all over the globe. Huge decrease in human population.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am seriously curious as to our collective opinion on this "devisive" issue. I am hoping people will vote according to their informed opinion (rather than what they hope is true, or what the pundits of their political persuasions are saying). The poll comes in two parts. This is part one.

Do not consider the cause/reason while selecting from these options. Here's the question:

How SERIOUS do you believe "global warming/climate change" will be?

(Why can't I edit the poll title?)

THis is NOT a political poll. So please keep the tone objective and non-inflamitory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all serious.

Hey, wait for me to finish the poll!

Chi Meson said:
How SERIOUS do you believe "golbal warming/climate change" will be?
Well, assuming that global warming is occurring, and it is responsible for a reduction in food supply and increase in violent or catastrophic weather, then it is a serious problem.

http://www.climatehotmap.org/

I selected moderate, but I'd acutally prefer an option between moderate and grave. The gravity depends upon the response of the global community. Nations which consume a disproportionate share of the natural resources will invite retaliation of other nations.

The global population will not necessarily decrease, but it could depending upon resource allocation.

Humanity cannot continue as it has, i.e. without some restraint on the utilization of energy and other resources.

Last edited:
^^

Due to the limit of characters I had to remove the key phrases "overall" and "with some changes in lifestyle" from the third option.

Why do you have "severe change" listed as only a "moderate concern" because, "the human race will continue as always"? That's not very moderate at all.

Rach3 said:
Why do you have "severe change" listed as only a "moderate concern" because, "the human race will continue as always"? That's not very moderate at all.

"Severe changes in some places" implying that there will be other locations where no significant changes will occur. In any populated location where such severe changes occur the situation will be grave, I'm sure.

Those areas with largest population densities, but lesser resources will likely experience significant population declines, or at least a reduction in the standard of living or quality of life.

IF competition for scarce resources increases, then wars become more likely.

Much of what will happen is so conditional upon the behavior of large groups of people that it is difficult to accurately predict future trends. What if China and India attempt to achieve the per capita consumption of the US? The world's resources would be rapidly depeleted.

In the face of deprivation, the behavior of some/many often becomes predatory. I have observed this in totalitarian societies.

Astronuc said:
I selected moderate, but I'd acutally prefer an option between moderate and grave.

Same here.

There is more reason to be concerned about the forecasted http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Calen/Landscheidt-1.html in the little ice age.

Unfortunately, a bit more CO2 in the atmoshere is too weak a greenhouse effect to compensate for that. We need more suvs :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked three, but would have preferred another selection between moderate and severe.

Although there are other environmental problems that may be even more of a factor than global warming. Lack of fresh water in the future will be more catastrophic than global warming, although drought conditions are worsening as a result of global warming.

Andre said:
There is more reason to be concerned about the forecasted http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Calen/Landscheidt-1.html in the little ice age.

Unfortunately, a bit more CO2 in the atmoshere is too weak a greenhouse effect to compensate for that. We need more suvs :wink:

Sorry, if you want to impress me with a study, you must provide a link to a reputable website, not one with a political/corporate agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Nations which consume a disproportionate share of the natural resources will invite retaliation of other nations.

So, I guess us Canadians and Americans are screwed. We suck up so much energy it's ridiculous.

What about for those that don't think there is enough data to bring us to a conclusion prediction?

Mk said:
What about for those that don't think there is enough data to bring us to a conclusion prediction?

It's not about prediction, this poll. It's about how concerned you are right now about this issue. If you are not concerned, then pick option 1.

Mk said:

I would say that most would agree that there is not yet sufficient data, especially in the southern hemisphere. But there is enough evidence to warrant action. That is why despite the best efforts of the industry funded think-tanks to cast doubt, world leaders are beginning to take action.

What is the main cause of global warming/climate change?

The main cause of global warming/climate change is the increase in greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide, in the Earth's atmosphere. These gases trap heat from the sun, causing the Earth's temperature to rise.

How does global warming/climate change impact the environment?

Global warming/climate change can have a variety of impacts on the environment, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in weather patterns, and loss of biodiversity. It can also lead to negative consequences for human health, agriculture, and economies.

What can individuals do to help prevent global warming/climate change?

Individual actions that can help prevent global warming/climate change include reducing energy consumption, using renewable energy sources, conserving water, reducing meat consumption, and promoting sustainable transportation methods. It is also important to support policies and initiatives that aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

What is the difference between global warming and climate change?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in the Earth's average temperature, while climate change encompasses a broader range of changes, including changes in temperature, precipitation, and weather patterns. Global warming is one aspect of climate change.

How do scientists study global warming/climate change?

Scientists study global warming/climate change through a variety of methods, including analyzing data from satellites and weather stations, collecting and studying ice cores and other geological records, and using computer models to simulate and predict future climate scenarios. This research helps us understand the causes and impacts of global warming/climate change and inform potential solutions.