Which marble is the oddball? Heavy or light?

• Thread starter Physics-Learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weighing
In summary, the conversation discusses a popular puzzle involving 12 marbles, one of which is either heavier or lighter than the others. The person solving the puzzle is only allowed three weighings using a balance scale to determine which marble is the oddball and whether it is heavy or light. The puzzle has been posted frequently on a forum and is considered to be challenging.
Physics-Learner
i give you 12 marbles. 11 of them are identical. the 12th one looks the same, but is either heavier or lighter than the other 11.

you also have a balance scale. the kind that weighs things on both sides - and if one side is heavier, it tilts down.

you are allowed only 3 weighings.

tell me which ball is the oddball, and whether it is heavy or light.

Physics news on Phys.org
This was just posted one or two months ago. In fact, a search for "balance" in the Brain Teasers forum shows that it is posted quite frequently. I wonder what it is about this particular puzzle that makes it so popular.

sorry about that. i did look thru the first page for marbles, and did not see anything. i didnt look more closely at the rest of the wording.

to answer your question - it took me a long time to figure it out. it has been one of the best puzzles that i have worked on for a long time.

i was just about to post the one about crossing the river with cannibals, but i find that this has also been posted. it only took me an hour or so to figure that one out. i found the marble one much more difficult.

1. What is an oddball marble?

An oddball marble is a marble that differs in weight from the rest of the marbles in a set. It can be either heavier or lighter than the other marbles.

2. How can you determine which marble is the oddball?

To determine which marble is the oddball, you can use a balance scale to compare the weight of each marble. The marble that differs in weight from the others is the oddball.

3. Are there any other methods to identify the oddball marble?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a ruler to measure the diameter or volume of each marble, or using a caliper to measure the thickness of each marble. The marble that differs from the others in any of these measurements is the oddball.

4. Can the oddball marble be lighter or heavier than the others?

Yes, the oddball marble can be either lighter or heavier than the others. It all depends on the specific set of marbles and the desired outcome of the experiment.

5. Why is it important to determine the oddball marble?

Determining the oddball marble can help with various scientific experiments and studies. It can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as promote attention to detail and accuracy in measurements.