Is the Ideal I = < 6, 3 + 3sqrt(-17) > in Z[sqrt(-17)] a Prime Ideal?

• Thread starter ElDavidas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime Ring
In summary, we determine that the ideal I = <6, 3 + 3 sqrt(-17)> in the ring Z[sqrt(-17)] is not a prime ideal. This is because 6 is not a prime number and 17 is a prime number, and the ideal is not a product of two distinct prime numbers. We can also pull out Z[sqrt(-17)] from the equation since the ideal is generated by elements of the form a + b sqrt(-17).
ElDavidas

Homework Statement

Take the ideal

[tex] I = < 6, 3 + 3 \sqrt{-17} >[/tex]

in the ring [itex]Z [ \sqrt{-17} ][/itex].

Determine whether this ideal is prime or not.

Homework Equations

[tex]<18> = I^2 [/tex]

There is no element [itex]\alpha \in Z [ \sqrt{-17} ] [/itex] such that [itex] 18 = \alpha^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to go about doing this. I have the definition of a prime ideal P.

[itex] P [/itex] is a prime ideal [itex] \Leftrightarrow [/itex] if [itex] ab \in P[/itex] then [itex] a \in P [/itex] or [itex] b \in P [/itex].

And I see that [itex] < 6, 3 + 3 \sqrt{-17} > = 6 Z [ \sqrt{-17} ] +( 3 + 3 \sqrt{-17}) Z [ \sqrt{-17} ][/itex].

Is it also possible to pull out the [itex] Z [ \sqrt{-17} ][/itex] from the above equation?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! To determine whether this ideal is prime or not, we can use the definition of a prime ideal as you mentioned. We can also use the fact that in a ring of the form Z[sqrt(-d)], where d is a positive integer that is not a perfect square, the ideal <d> is prime if and only if d is a prime number or a product of two distinct prime numbers.

In this case, we have the ideal I = <6, 3 + 3 sqrt(-17)> in the ring Z[sqrt(-17)]. We can see that 6 is not a prime number and 17 is a prime number, so it is not a product of two distinct prime numbers. Therefore, we can conclude that the ideal I is not a prime ideal.

To answer your question about pulling out the Z[sqrt(-17)] from the equation, we can do that because the ideal I is generated by elements of the form a + b sqrt(-17) where a and b are integers. So we can write I = 6 Z[sqrt(-17)] + (3 + 3 sqrt(-17)) Z[sqrt(-17)] = Z[sqrt(-17)], since every element in Z[sqrt(-17)] can be written as a combination of 6 and (3 + 3 sqrt(-17)).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is an ideal in Z[sqrt(-17)]?

An ideal in Z[sqrt(-17)] is a subset of the ring Z[sqrt(-17)] that is closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication by elements of the ring. It is similar to an ideal in a regular ring, but with the added condition that the elements must be of the form a + b*sqrt(-17), where a and b are integers.

2. How do you determine if an ideal is prime in Z[sqrt(-17)]?

An ideal I in Z[sqrt(-17)] is prime if and only if whenever a and b are in Z[sqrt(-17)] such that a*b is in I, then either a or b is in I. In other words, if the product of two elements is in I, then at least one of the elements must be in I.

3. What is the ideal I = < 6, 3 + 3sqrt(-17) > in Z[sqrt(-17)]?

The ideal I = < 6, 3 + 3sqrt(-17) > is the set of all elements of the form 6a + (3 + 3sqrt(-17))*b, where a and b are integers. In other words, it is the set of all multiples of 6 and all multiples of 3 + 3sqrt(-17).

4. Is the ideal I = < 6, 3 + 3sqrt(-17) > a prime ideal?

Yes, the ideal I = < 6, 3 + 3sqrt(-17) > is a prime ideal in Z[sqrt(-17)]. This can be proven by showing that if the product of two elements is in I, then at least one of the elements must be in I. Since 6 is a multiple of 3, it is clear that any multiple of 6 will be in I. Additionally, any multiple of 3 + 3sqrt(-17) will also be in I. Therefore, the ideal I satisfies the definition of a prime ideal.

5. What is the significance of determining if an ideal is prime in Z[sqrt(-17)]?

Determining if an ideal is prime in Z[sqrt(-17)] is important in understanding the structure and properties of this particular ring. It can also be used in various applications, such as in number theory and cryptography. Furthermore, prime ideals have many useful properties, such as being maximal, which makes them valuable in ring theory and algebraic geometry.