Calculate the average speed in km/h of earth assuming a circular path

In summary, the conversation is discussing a math problem involving calculating the average speed of Earth in km/h as it orbits around the Sun. The equation v = 2TTr/T is provided, and the conversation covers understanding the symbols and units involved, as well as the assumption of a circular orbit for simplicity.
Confused_much
I'm stuck on this math problem for my physics class, I'm sure it's not that difficult, but it confuses me:

The Average distance between the Earth and the sun is 1.50 X 10^8 km.
a. Calculate the average speed in km/h of Earth assuming a circular path about the sun. Use the equation v= 2TTr/T.
b. Convert your answer from km/h to m/s. Show all units.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you tried? Have you tried using the equation for the first part? Do you know what each symbol represents? Please note that you must show working before we can help you with homework/coursework questions-- forum rules.

Oh, ok.

Um...let's see...I know what the symbols stand for, it's just that I don't know if by r in this problem means the radius of the earth, and I don't even know what the time it takes.

What figure do you have? Isn't it 1.5x10^8. Where does that fit in? The equation ought to have been copied better, its [tex]2\pi r[/tex], where you seem to have copied 2TTr.

How is time measured? What time is important here?

Well, time is measured in seconds, but in this case, they want it in hours, right? The important time in this case is how long it will take for the Earth to go around the sun if their distance is 1.5x10^8.

You are making progress, keep going!

Here's a hint! The time it takes the Earth to go around the sun is one year!

"Use the equation v= 2TTr/T" Frankly, this doesn't make much sense. You say that you know what the symbols mean but you haven't told us. I would think that
TTr/T= Tr. ??

I'm pretty sure that by TT, the OP means [tex]\pi[/tex].

In order to use the equation provided to gain the correct result, is is necessary to assume that Earth is in a circular orbit around the Sun. This is not exactly true, but it is a viable approximation for basic purposes.

With this in mind, consider how the numerator in the equation relates to Earth's orbit around the Sun.

1. What is the formula for calculating average speed in km/h of earth assuming a circular path?

The formula for calculating average speed in km/h of earth assuming a circular path is 2πr/t, where r is the radius of the earth's orbit and t is the time it takes for the earth to complete one full rotation around the sun.

2. How is the radius of the earth's orbit measured?

The radius of the earth's orbit is measured from the center of the sun to the center of the earth, which is approximately 149.6 million kilometers.

3. What is the time it takes for the earth to complete one full rotation around the sun?

The time it takes for the earth to complete one full rotation around the sun is approximately 365.25 days, or 8,766 hours.

4. Can the average speed of the earth change over time?

Yes, the average speed of the earth can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other planets, changes in the earth's orbit, and variations in the earth's rotation speed.

5. How does calculating the average speed of the earth help in understanding its motion?

Calculating the average speed of the earth helps in understanding its motion by providing a measure of the earth's velocity as it orbits around the sun. This information can be used to study the earth's position in relation to other planets and celestial bodies, as well as to make predictions about future movements and events.