Trigonometry sin and cos question

In summary, the conversation discusses an expression involving trigonometric functions and how to derive it using a specific trig identity. The speaker also mentions finding the values of variables and looking in their course book for the answer.
_Andreas
My teacher told me that

C sin(k x) + D cos(k x) = F sin(k x+gamma)

if neither C nor D is 0 (gamma is a phase angle). How do you derive the expression on the right of the equal sign from that on the left?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
While normally one would say C and D assume certain values, I'll let you find what those values are. Expand the expression on the right and equate the terms on both sides.

neutrino said:
While normally one would say C and D assume certain values, I'll let you find what those values are. Expand the expression on the right and equate the terms on both sides.

Actually, I just found out that my course book provides the answer to my question. :blushing: Sorry for bothering! But thanks anyway.

So, note to self: always look in your books before posting questions here.

The relevant trig identity is [tex]\sin (A+B) = \sin A \cos B + \sin B \cos A[/tex].

1. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions used to relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. However, sine is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosine is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do I use sine and cosine to solve for missing sides or angles in a right triangle?

To solve for a missing side or angle in a right triangle, you can use the trigonometric ratios of sine and cosine. For example, if you know the measure of one angle and the length of the adjacent side, you can use the cosine function to find the length of the hypotenuse or the length of the opposite side.

3. Can sine or cosine be greater than 1 or less than -1?

No, the values of sine and cosine can only range from -1 to 1. This is because they are ratios of sides in a right triangle, and the lengths of sides in a triangle cannot be greater than the length of its hypotenuse.

4. How are sine and cosine used in real life situations?

Sine and cosine are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate the relationships between angles and distances. They are also used in navigation and surveying to determine the location of objects or landmarks based on their angles from a reference point.

5. Is there a relationship between sine and cosine?

Yes, there is a relationship between sine and cosine known as the Pythagorean identity. It states that the square of sine plus the square of cosine will always equal 1. This relationship is based on the Pythagorean theorem, which is used to find the length of a side in a right triangle.