Solve Simple Diode Problem: v_d, i_D, n, Fit at 1mA

• Thread starter DefaultName
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the parameters of a piecewise linear model of a diode can be found by using the equations provided and the given values of V_{d}, I_{d}, and n. The value of I_{s} does not need to be assumed, as it can be calculated using the given values.
DefaultName

Homework Statement

Find the parameters of a piecewise linear model of a diode with the following known values:

v_d = 0.7V
i_D = 1mA
n = 2.

Make your model fit at 1mA.

Homework Equations

They are in the image below, written there.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt. I drew out the piecewise linear equivalent, which can be seen to the right of the equal sign. The eq. that I need are on the far left top, and I start putting values in.

I also assumed the saturation current was 10^-11. That's another question I had, they never specified it, so should I assume that 10^-11 is it? It seems that the other ex. in this book uses that value, so...

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1165/untitledkp4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found the correct value for [tex]r_{d}[/tex] but then you used the value 0.921 for [tex]V_{d}[/tex] when you are told that the value of [tex]V_{d}[/tex] is 0.7. In this problem you are given the value of the forward voltage (Vd = 0.7) at a specific forward current (Id = 1mA) so you don't need to assume any value for Is, because it's value results from the equation [tex]I_{d} = I_{s}e^{\frac{V_{d}}{nV_{T}}}[/tex] where you know both [tex]I_{d}[/tex] and [tex]V_{d}[/tex].

I would first start by acknowledging the given information and clarifying any uncertainties. In this case, the given values are the voltage across the diode (v_d), the current through the diode (i_D), and the ideality factor (n). However, it is not specified what the saturation current (I_S) is, so I would clarify that with the person assigning the homework or make an educated assumption based on other examples in the book.

Next, I would use the equations given in the homework statement to solve for the unknown parameters of the piecewise linear model. Using the equation for the forward current of a diode, I_D = I_S * (e^(v_d/n*V_T)-1), I can plug in the given values and solve for I_S. Then, using the equation for the slope of the piecewise linear model, m = I_D/V_T, I can solve for V_T.

Once I have all the necessary parameters, I would then plug them into the piecewise linear model and check if it fits at 1mA. If it does not fit, I would go back and check my calculations or assumptions to see if there was an error. If it does fit, I would provide the final piecewise linear model as my solution.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by clarifying any uncertainties, using the given equations to solve for the unknown parameters, and then checking if the resulting model fits the given data.

What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of two layers of semiconductor material, typically doped with impurities to create a p-n junction.

What is vd?

vd refers to the voltage drop across the diode, which is typically around 0.7 volts for a silicon diode and 0.3 volts for a germanium diode.

What is iD?

iD refers to the current flowing through the diode, which is dependent on the voltage and the properties of the diode. It can be calculated using Ohm's Law (iD = vd/R) or by using the diode's characteristic curve.

What is n?

n is the ideality factor of a diode, which takes into account deviations from the ideal diode model. It is typically between 1 and 2, with lower values indicating a more ideal diode.

What does "Fit at 1mA" mean?

"Fit at 1mA" refers to the point on the diode's characteristic curve where the current is 1 milliampere. This point can be used to determine the diode's characteristics and properties, such as its ideality factor and voltage drop.