Calculate Tension: 65.0kg Box with 4.8m/s Velocity

• Thread starter skandaluz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, A new member is seeking help with a physics problem involving a box hanging from a rope with a velocity and acceleration in the Y direction. The question is how to calculate the tension on the rope. The suggested solution is to identify the forces and apply Newton's 2nd law.
skandaluz
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. Hopefully someone can help me out.

The problem is their is a 65.0 kg box hanging from a rope. The box has a velocity of 4.8 m/s in the Y direction and is speeding up at 4.8 m/s^2. The Y axis points up.

The question is, how do i calculate the tension on the rope?

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
skandaluz said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. Hopefully someone can help me out.

The problem is their is a 65.0 kg box hanging from a rope. The box has a velocity of 4.8 m/s in the Y direction and is speeding up at 4.8 m/s^2. The Y axis points up.

The question is, how do i calculate the tension on the rope?

TIA
Welcome! Identify the forces acting on the box and apply Newton's 2nd law. Please show your attempt.

Hello! It's great to have you join the forum. To calculate the tension on the rope, we need to use Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the box is accelerating at 4.8 m/s^2, so we can use this equation to find the net force on the box.

First, we need to find the weight of the box, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This gives us a weight of 637 N (65 kg x 9.8 m/s^2).

Next, we need to find the net force on the box in the y-direction. Since the box is accelerating in the y-direction, we can use the equation F=ma, where m is the mass of the box and a is the acceleration in the y-direction. This gives us a net force of 312 N (65 kg x 4.8 m/s^2).

Finally, to find the tension on the rope, we need to subtract the weight of the box from the net force in the y-direction. This gives us a tension of 325 N (637 N - 312 N). Therefore, the tension on the rope supporting the 65.0 kg box with a velocity of 4.8 m/s is 325 N. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled on from opposite ends.

How do you calculate tension?

To calculate tension, you need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. The formula for tension is T = m * a, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the mass of the 65.0kg box?

The 65.0kg box refers to the mass of the object, which is 65.0 kilograms. This value is needed to calculate the tension.

What is the velocity of the 65.0kg box?

The velocity of the 65.0kg box is 4.8m/s. This value is needed to calculate the tension.

What is the unit for tension?

The unit for tension is Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the formula T = m * a, where mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).