A center of a circle with a parabola

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of a circle with a radius of 1, given a parabola equation and two points on the curve. The speaker calculated the distance between the points and the center and set up equations to solve for the center, but needed one more equation. They were advised to find the connection between the parabola and the two points, which led them to the solution of (0,1.25) as the center of the circle.
inferi
hi,

I have this question which is a challenging problem:
in this link you will veiw the graph of the question https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11650&d=1195680084

the question is to find the center of the circle which it's radius is equal to 1.
the parabola equation is shown in the link and that's all the question.
what i did so far that i took the two points that toch the curve and with the center of the circle and i found the distance between them which is equal to the radius 1.
so let's say that the center of the circle (h,k) and the point that tocuh the curve in the first querter is (x1,y1) and the other point is (-x2,y2) and the x2 is mines because it is in the second querter.
do the final equations are:
(x1-h)^2+(y1-k)^2=(1)^2
(-x2-h)^2+(y2-k)^2=(1)^2

the center of the circle is on the y-axies so h=0 and we substitute x1 and -x2 in the parabola equation so we can get y.

x1^2+(x1^2-k)^2=1
x2^2+(x2^2-k)^2=1

but there are three unknown so i need anothe equation i asked a teacher and he told me to find the conecation between the parabola and the two points and i do not know how to finish this question.
so anyone can please help? thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the center of the circle [itex](0, y_1)[/itex] and the point at the circle touches the parabola [itex](x_0, x_0^2)[/itex] (with [itex]x_0[/itex] positive). The slope of the line from [itex](0,y_1)[/itex] to [itex](x_0,x_0^2)[/itex] is [itex](x_0^2- y_1)/x_0[/itex] while the slope of the tangent line to the parabola is [itex]2x_0[/itex]. Since those two lines are perpendicular the product of the two slopes is -1:
[tex]2x_0\frac{x_0^2- y_1}{x_0}= 2(x_0^2- y_1)= -1.

Thanks i got it the center is (0,1.25) and i used the other point just to make sure and it gave me the same answer.

1. What is the relationship between the center of a circle and a parabola?

The center of a circle and a parabola are not directly related. The center of a circle is the point equidistant from all points on the circle, while a parabola is a curved shape formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. However, the center of a circle may lie on the axis of symmetry of a parabola, which is the line that divides the parabola into two equal halves.

2. Can a parabola be used to find the center of a circle?

No, a parabola alone cannot be used to find the center of a circle. The center of a circle can only be determined by knowing the coordinates of at least three points on the circle or by using the equation of the circle.

3. How does the center of a circle and a parabola affect each other in a mathematical equation?

The center of a circle and a parabola do not affect each other in a mathematical equation. The equation of a circle and a parabola are completely separate and do not depend on each other.

4. Is the center of a circle always the focus of a parabola?

No, the center of a circle is not always the focus of a parabola. The focus of a parabola is a fixed point on the axis of symmetry, while the center of a circle is a point on the circle itself.

5. Can the center of a circle and a parabola intersect?

No, the center of a circle and a parabola cannot intersect. The center of a circle is a point in the plane, while a parabola is a curve. They may share the same x or y coordinate, but they do not intersect.