How do I reduce the coeff. of friction against water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a coating that will reduce the coefficient of friction on the bottom of a plastic model boat. Ideas are suggested, such as petroleum jelly or wax, and it is noted that the coating should be very thin in order to not add more friction. The possibility of using a rough surface is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing potential household items that could be used for this purpose, with the suggestion of using silicone or Teflon. The concept of "wetting" is brought up as a way to reduce drag by increasing cohesion with the water. It is noted that this is a common practice in the car paint industry and is also used on competition boats. The idea of using a dolphin or soap
es_shoes
hello,

i need to coat the bottom of a plastic model boat that will be moving against water with something that will reduce the coefficient of friction. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

p.s. household items would be best, I need it by tomorrow

Physics news on Phys.org
would something like petroleum jelly work? or would i be better off with something like wax?

what ever you put it should be a very thin layer so that it will smooth out the bottom and not add much more friction it's self

I've heard it claimed that a very rough surface will actually work (something about making the flow more laminar?), no idea whether it's true but it sounds interesting to test.

all i know is that in cars(drag racing) they like to put the least amount of paint
yes some paint is needed to look good but also without paint the surface is not smooth creating more drag

so if any of that helps you

thanks guys, the tests went well today, even though i went without anything on the bottom of the boat. Appreciate the thoughts.

Basically one wants to reduce drag by shear with the water, as opposed to drag due to the cross-section projected into the on-coming water.

Teflon or silicone would probably work the best to reduce the adhesion of the water, but teflon coating is not something that can be done overnight. Silicone sprays would wash off eventually. There are certain silicone paints or coating compounds which are hydrophobic.

In the car paint industry, and possibly others, it is referred to as "wetting" you want to maximize the wetting of your body against water. There are a number of paints that specialize in reducing hull friction to the "wetted" surface by increasing (yeah, i know it sounds counter intuitive) the cohesion of water to the bonded surface. The upshot is that instead of a solid to water boundary layer what happens is one adds the mass of a small laminar water layer to the mass of the hull, but boundary effects are minimized by limiting the friction to a water to water boundary layer.

Actually competition boats, America Cup etc. spend enourmous amounts of money on just such surfactant research. (Not a guess, I spent 7 years as a systems engineer for a leading global paint manufacturer.)

Try some paints that are hydrophobic. It's like the duck feather.

wysard said:
In the car paint industry, and possibly others, it is referred to as "wetting" you want to maximize the wetting of your body against water. There are a number of paints that specialize in reducing hull friction to the "wetted" surface by increasing (yeah, i know it sounds counter intuitive) the cohesion of water to the bonded surface. The upshot is that instead of a solid to water boundary layer what happens is one adds the mass of a small laminar water layer to the mass of the hull, but boundary effects are minimized by limiting the friction to a water to water boundary layer.

Actually competition boats, America Cup etc. spend enourmous amounts of money on just such surfactant research. (Not a guess, I spent 7 years as a systems engineer for a leading global paint manufacturer.)

so wetting is the same thing i was saying

noagname said:
so wetting is the same thing i was saying

No, actually that is the opposite of what you, the OP, Astronuc and Pixel were saying.

My solution would be to glue your model to a dolphin, but I suppose that there's something in the rules of engagement that would rule that out.

Perhaps Danger, but perhaps you could find a loophole by employing one of those out of work dolphins that were trained to lay mines on ships hulls?

Wetting is the chemical effect of lowering it's surface tension letting the material slide rather than creating a "repellent" coating that raises the surface tension. An example of the latter is the coating put on windshields that raises the surface tension sufficiently that the bead of water has an incidence of over 72 degrees and thereby can no longer "stick" to your windshield, but rolls off. The wetting would produce exactly the opposite effect. While this would lower the resistance of the windshield to more water flowing over it, it would spell utter disaster for the poor soul trying to drive in the rain. Good for boat hulls and sliding electrical contacts. Bad for windshields.

I know it's over but soap? Is that cheating? :D

wysard said:
Perhaps Danger, but perhaps you could find a loophole by employing one of those out of work dolphins that were trained to lay mines on ships hulls?
They only want you to think that they're out of work... :uhh:

What is the coefficient of friction against water?

The coefficient of friction against water is a measure of the force required to move an object through water. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force between the object and the water.

Why is it important to reduce the coefficient of friction against water?

Reducing the coefficient of friction against water can help improve the efficiency of water-based transportation, reduce drag on ships and submarines, and increase the speed and maneuverability of boats and other watercraft. It can also help reduce wear and tear on machinery and equipment that operate in water.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction against water?

The coefficient of friction against water is affected by several factors, including the size, shape, and surface texture of the object, the speed and direction of movement, the properties of the water (such as temperature and salinity), and the presence of any lubricants or surface treatments.

How can the coefficient of friction against water be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the coefficient of friction against water, including using hydrophobic or low friction coatings on the surface of the object, optimizing the shape and design of the object to minimize drag, and adding lubricants or other substances to the water to reduce friction. Additionally, reducing the speed or changing the direction of movement can also help reduce the coefficient of friction.

Are there any potential drawbacks to reducing the coefficient of friction against water?

While reducing the coefficient of friction against water can have numerous benefits, it can also have some potential drawbacks. For example, adding lubricants or coatings to the water can have negative impacts on the environment, and reducing the friction too much can lead to loss of control or stability for watercraft. It is important to carefully consider the potential consequences and balance the benefits and drawbacks when attempting to reduce the coefficient of friction against water.