A physics (calculus) problem that I can't set up.

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of the Earth suddenly stopping its orbit around the sun and how long it would take for the Earth to reach the sun. The conversation mentions using classical kinematics and Newton's law of gravitation to find a solution. One suggested method is to integrate the law of gravitation twice with time to get displacement as a function of time. Another suggestion is to use Kepler's third law to estimate the time to fall to the sun, which would be half the new orbital period.
baron.cecil
I first want to say that this isn't a problem from school or anything, I just thought of it one day and when I tried to do it, I couldn't!

Homework Statement

If the Earth suddenly stopped orbiting the sun in its circular path, it would immediately begin the accelerate toward the sun in a straight path. From a classical kinematic point of view, how long will it take the Earth to reach the sun if r(0)=ri (distance from Earth to sun), v(0)=0, and a(0)=0.

I understand classical kinematics (a=dv/dt=d^2x/t^2), but in a macroscopic case like this, acceleration isn't constant; its a function of position, according to Newtons Law of gravitation a=G*m/r(t)^2.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravitation: A smaller object will accelerate towards a larger object with an acceleration = G*m/r(t)^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the bigger object, r(t) is the distance between the two objects.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I thought to do was integrate a=G*m/r(t)^2 twice with time to get s as a function of t. => v=G*m*t/r^2 => s=G*m*t^2/(2*r^2) and s(ti)=r and s(tf)=0. I don't know where to go from there because of I have position as a function of time and position (if that makes sense?)

So r(t)=ri - s. => s=ri - r(t) => ri - r(t) = G*m*t^2/(2*r^2).

Can anyone help me out with this one? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the Earth orbits in an elliptical path it would vary depending on where the Earth is in its orbit.

No, ignoring complications like that. With ri= mean distance from Earth to the sun.

Well you'd have an easier time using energy, at t=0 there is no kinetic energy of the system only potential

The 'time to fall integral' is a little difficult (but not undoable). But you can use Kepler's third law to get an estimate. The cube of the semimajor axis is proportional to the period squared. If the Earth's velocity suddenly falls to almost zero then it's orbital path will be one that passes very close to the sun and then returns. That means that the semimajor axis is cut in half. What does that do to the period? Time to fall to the sun is then 1/2 of that new period.

1. How do I approach a physics problem that involves calculus?

First, carefully read and understand the problem. Identify what is given and what is asked. Then, draw a diagram or visualize the situation to help you understand the problem better. Next, use your knowledge of calculus to set up the appropriate equations and solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a physics problem with calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect units, forgetting to include all relevant forces or variables, and not double-checking your calculations. It is also important to make sure your equations are set up correctly and that you are using the correct formulas for the specific problem.

3. Can I use calculus to solve any physics problem?

Calculus is a powerful tool that can be applied to many physics problems. However, there may be some problems that can be solved using other mathematical methods, such as algebra or geometry. It is important to understand when and how to use calculus in physics problems.

4. How can I check if my answer is reasonable?

One way to check if your answer is reasonable is to compare it to the given values in the problem and make sure it is within a reasonable range. You can also try plugging your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, it can be helpful to ask a peer or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

5. What resources can I use to help me with setting up physics problems involving calculus?

There are many resources available for help with setting up physics problems involving calculus. Your textbook, class notes, and online tutorials can provide helpful examples and explanations. You can also seek guidance from your teacher or a tutor. Additionally, practice and perseverance can help improve your skills in setting up physics problems with calculus.