Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary: I would like to start a tutorial of my own.5. What do you think of the quality of the tutorials in the forum?I think they're good, but I think there could be more variety.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dear all,

PF has a great resource in the form of the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151", over the years many people have posted links to some great online resources and references, some members have also contributed their own material to the forums. There are now over two hundred threads containing tutorials, summaries, lecture notes and video lectures.

The purpose of this thread is two-fold; firstly, to raise awareness of the Tutorials Sub-Forum and secondly, as a place to gather feedback and suggestions for the Tutorials Sub-Forum. To get the ball rolling I suggest the following points of discussion:

1. Did you even know that we had a Tutorial section?

2. Do you ever use it, if so how often?

3. Have you found any of the tutorials useful?

4. Have you considered adding a tutorial of your own?

5. What do you think of the quality of the tutorials in the forum?

Any other comments or suggestions from all members are more than welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much for posting this and bringing this to the member's attention.

Some of the tutorials have been provided by scientists and lecturers from outside the forums, while others have been written by our very own members. We welcome additional contributions to the tutorials.

If anyone needs assistance in collaborating on a tutorial, or wants a way to prepare drafts and have others here review and edit them, the mentors can also assist with this process (i.e., if you start a thread with a rough draft, and invite others to help edit, we can move the final version into it's own thread and remove the drafts that might be confusing later).

Hootenanny said:
1. Did you even know that we had a Tutorialsection?

I had no idea I will check it out!

Wow, that's brilliant, I had no idea I love all the video lectures available. Now I have something to do in my half term =].

_Mayday_ said:
Wow, that's brilliant, I had no idea I love all the video lectures available. Now I have something to do in my half term =].
I'm glad that you found them interesting/useful :smile:

*Bump*

I will complete the survey as I have used this section of this site quite a bit now.

I do now, thanks to this thread actually. I use the Introductory Physics section. Smart88 has a brilliant link to a site.

Once a week every Sunday I look for a lecture related to physics out of curiosity. While looking I sometimes come across a good tutorial that interests me.

Yes very much so, it is nice to have a source of information on the internet that is checked people who know best.

I am half way through on vectors are there are so many questions in homework help related to it. I am very busy at the moment and would need it checked as I myself am not a teacher but I hope that it helps as it is reasonably straight forward. Possibly one on Kinematics though I haven't thought that much about it.

I really cannot comment, I take the tutorials to be corrects and put my trust into them. :shy:

no
never
n/a
n/a
n/a

thanks for the link though!

1.) Yes
2.)No
3.)never checked
4.)Yes, but I don't think I'm qualified to do so
5.)never checked

Probably the main reason I don't check out the tutorial sub-forum, is because I would much rather read and study a text from a book than a computer screen.

qspeechc said:
1.) Yes
2.)No
3.)never checked
4.)Yes, but I don't think I'm qualified to do so
5.)never checked
Thanks for the reply!
qspeechc said:
Probably the main reason I don't check out the tutorial sub-forum, is because I would much rather read and study a text from a book than a computer screen.
That's a fair point, exended reading from a monitor isn't particularly easy on the eyes. Would you perhaps make more use of the Tutorials if they were available in a more printer friendly format (PDF or printable versions etc.)?

I think printer friendliness is a key issue for most people. I know I almost always print off any article I read. It serves as a good record of what one has read as well. As a reference resource however I don't think printer friendliness is all that important. I suppose its up to whoever provides the tutorial to decide what its main purpose will be.

Yes.

Occasionally, to see if there's anything worth looking at.

Yes, the one on the fundamentals of the rules of derivation was pretty good.

Yes, and have done, though not sure how much use it was, seemed a shame to waste all that latex and typing though.

Very good - excellent generally.

Schrodinger's Dog said:

Yes, the one on the fundamentals of the rules of derivation was pretty good.
For a moment there I thought you said "differentiation" ...:frown:
Schrodinger's Dog said:

Yes, and have done, though not sure how much use it was, seemed a shame to waste all that latex and typing though.
It's a nice addition, and I'm sure some people will find it very useful/interesting. It's getting about 18 hits a day so people are reading it :smile:

Thanks for the comments.

==============================================================

_Mayday_ said:
Once a week every Sunday I look for a lecture related to physics out of curiosity. While looking I sometimes come across a good tutorial that interests me.

Yes very much so, it is nice to have a source of information on the internet that is checked people who know best.
It's good to know that some people use them quite regularly and find them useful.
_Mayday_ said:
I am half way through on vectors are there are so many questions in homework help related to it. I am very busy at the moment and would need it checked as I myself am not a teacher but I hope that it helps as it is reasonably straight forward. Possibly one on Kinematics though I haven't thought that much about it.
It's great that your contributing to the Tutorials, the more people that help out the better the resource will become (with proper quality controls).
_Mayday_ said:
I really cannot comment, I take the tutorials to be corrects and put my trust into them. :shy:
Since we have a large number of people at PF who are proficient and/or experts in physics, maths and the related fields any errors generally get corrected immediately or very soon afterwards.

Thanks for your comments.

Hoot, I will try and finish that tutorial and then I will post it into you via pm or what?

_Mayday_ said:
Hoot, I will try and finish that tutorial and then I will post it into you via pm or what?
Hey Mayday,

Thanks for putting the effort into write a tutorial. There's no need to PM it to me first, there's no formal review process, you can just go straight ahead and post it in the relevant Tutorial's sub-forum. However, if you would like me to have a read through it, I'd be more than happy to.

Thanks. Well I may have already said, it is on vectors and covers things like tension. It is massive, but I will include an inidex at the beginning. I have quite a lot of diagrams I have drawn out I don't know if it is possible to include them as images and not as links. I am also using tex a little I don't know if that is possible either. I have kept it fairly simple, just resolution of vectors and resolution of forces on a plain. I have included a few questions, which will be int he second post, with the answers in whit below. I would say I am halfway, but I am quite busy so don't expect it too soon :biggrin:

I guess if it helps one or two people it'll be worth it :smile:

_Mayday_ said:
Thanks. Well I may have already said, it is on vectors and covers things like tension. It is massive, but I will include an inidex at the beginning. I have quite a lot of diagrams I have drawn out I don't know if it is possible to include them as images and not as links. I am also using tex a little I don't know if that is possible either. I have kept it fairly simple, just resolution of vectors and resolution of forces on a plain. I have included a few questions, which will be int he second post, with the answers in whit below. I would say I am halfway, but I am quite busy so don't expect it too soon :biggrin:

Images and tex will work, in the tutorials forum. Tex won't work in PM's and I'm not sure about images if that's what you were worried about.

_Mayday_ said:
I have quite a lot of diagrams I have drawn out I don't know if it is possible to include them as images and not as links.
Yes you can include images directly, but you have to host them on an external site. There's a button on the toolbar that looks like a picture (mountains on a yellow background), click on it and enter the URL of the image into the pop-up box. Alternatively, you can add images as attachments (on the PF server) and reference them from your text.
_Mayday_ said:
I am also using tex a little I don't know if that is possible either.
Yes, LaTeX is also possible in the Tutorial's forums. You can code it in the same way as the other forums.
_Mayday_ said:
I have kept it fairly simple, just resolution of vectors and resolution of forces on a plain. I have included a few questions, which will be int he second post, with the answers in whit below. I would say I am halfway, but I am quite busy so don't expect it too soon :biggrin:
Sounds great! Don't rush, your off-line commitments are more important.
_Mayday_ said:
I imagine it'll help more than one or two people. Thanks again for your contribution :smile:

Edit: Kurdt slipped in before me! Hey Kurdt long time no speak :smile:

Hootenanny said:
For a moment there I thought you said "differentiation" ...:frown:

That's in fact what I meant? Why I typed derivation I don't know?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
That's in fact what I meant? Why I typed derivation I don't know?
Then I'm a happy man, thanks SD! :biggrin:

Hootenanny said:
Then I'm a happy man, thanks SD! :biggrin:

Np, it was a well written piece, and was helpful to me and no doubt plenty of others.

I've noticed that there are usually several threads per day posted in the 'Tutorials' sub-forum, which should be posted either in the homework forums or in the main forums. Tutorials, especially in UK universities (I'm not sure about the US and the rest of the world) are usually used to refer to classes where students may go and ask questions regarding homeworks and bookwork. I know that there is a sticky at the top of the Tutorial sub-forums explaining their purpose, but we all know that the stickies are very rarely read. Perhaps it might be an idea to rename the 'Tutorials' sub-forum as something else, "Mathematics & Science Resources" for example, to avoid the confusion.

I think the problem might be that some people don't understand the word tutorials as well. I'm sure people with English as their first language understand that a tutorial is a freer form lecture with a tutor (usually your course tutor) Ie some sort of teaching resource. But others? Some might assume it's an area to get advice from teachers? If you see what I mean. Don't know...

Hootenanny said:
I've noticed that there are usually several threads per day posted in the 'Tutorials' sub-forum, which should be posted either in the homework forums or in the main forums. Tutorials, especially in UK universities (I'm not sure about the US and the rest of the world) are usually used to refer to classes where students may go and ask questions regarding homeworks and bookwork. I know that there is a sticky at the top of the Tutorial sub-forums explaining their purpose, but we all know that the stickies are very rarely read. Perhaps it might be an idea to rename the 'Tutorials' sub-forum as something else, "Mathematics & Science Resources" for example, to avoid the confusion.

I kinda agree. Certainly the word "Tutorial" has different meanings even within the US educational system. Let me see if I can get the Admin attention on this.

Zz.

Thats a good idea Hoot. If the problems really are due to the ambiguity of the word tutorial then changing the name to something more explicit might help a lot.

ZapperZ said:
I kinda agree. Certainly the word "Tutorial" has different meanings even within the US educational system. Let me see if I can get the Admin attention on this.

Zz.
Cheers ZapperZ, much appreciated :smile:

Another point to consider is that when one logs in, the first forum at the top is the Tutorials Sub-Forum, perhaps it might also be an idea to move it down the list to below the Homework Forums.

I'm not trying to create work for the Admin, just reduce the number of threads the Mentors have to move.

Last edited:
I think changing it to Mathematics & Science Resources (Or Mathematics & Science Lessons) as suggested would be more descriptive than what it is now.

Zz.

And parenthetically adding (Posting Homework Not Allowed) :biggrin:

Actually either M&S Resources or Lessons would work. Any other comparable term?

Otherwise restrict the posting permissions?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would changing Tutorial to Guides? Or Lessons?
ZapperZ said:
I think changing it to Mathematics & Science Resources (Or Mathematics & Science Lessons) as suggested would be more descriptive than what it is now.

Zz.
Out of the three I would prefer Resources or Guides. Lessons could again imply that one could request assistance, as in a school lesson.
Astronuc said:
And parenthetically adding (Posting Homework Not Allowed) :biggrin:
This I like :wink: :approve:

Last edited:
I agree with Hoot that "lesson" would leave us with the same problem as "tutorial." I don't think "guides" quite conveys the content adequately. Then again, "resources" could sound like it's just a list of websites. So, I'm a bit torn between the options so far...to address the issue raised, certainly resources or guides are the better of the options. I certainly do support a name change to stem the confusion. Perhaps we could give folks a little longer to brainstorm some other alternative names before making a final decision (if we come up with a short list, we could always put it up for a member vote if we can't decide any other way).

Anyone have a thesaurus handy? :biggrin:

Yeah type thesaurus into google. :smile:

Tutorial: academic, cultural, didactic, informational, informative, instructive, scholarly, scholastic.

Lesson:assignment, chalk talk*, class, coaching, drill, education, exercise, homework, instruction, lecture, period, practice, quiz, reading, recitation, schooling, skull session, study, task, teaching, test, tutoring

Education: apprenticeship, background, book learning*, brainwashing*, breeding, catechism, civilization, coaching, cultivation, culture, direction, discipline, drilling, edification, enlightenment, erudition, finish, guidance, improvement, inculcation, indoctrination, information, knowledge, learnedness, learning, literacy, nurture, pedagogy, preparation, propagandism, proselytism, reading, rearing, refinement, scholarship, schooling, science, study, teaching, training, tuition, tutelage, tutoring

Mathematics and Science References? Perhaps with that one would have the problem of people thinking it was just links to websites as Moonbie said before.

How about Library. Reading Only. :approve:

Shhh! No Talking, Eating, Drinking, or hmm-hmm :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
How about Library. Reading Only. :approve:

Shhh! No Talking, Eating, Drinking, or hmm-hmm :biggrin:

:rofl:

Hmm...SD, did your thesaurus have the noun versions of those words rather than adjectives?

<h2>1. What topics are covered in the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?</h2><p>The Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum covers a wide range of topics in both mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, calculus, physics, biology, chemistry, and more. It is a place for students and professionals to share and learn about various concepts and techniques in these fields.</p><h2>2. Are the tutorials suitable for all levels of expertise?</h2><p>Yes, the tutorials in this sub-forum are suitable for all levels of expertise. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, you can find helpful resources and discussions to enhance your understanding of mathematics and science.</p><h2>3. Can I request a tutorial on a specific topic?</h2><p>Yes, you can request a tutorial on a specific topic by creating a new thread in the sub-forum. Other members may be able to provide helpful resources or explanations for your requested topic.</p><h2>4. How can I contribute to the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?</h2><p>There are several ways to contribute to this sub-forum. You can share your own tutorials, participate in discussions, provide feedback and suggestions, and help answer questions from other members. Your contributions can help create a valuable learning community for everyone.</p><h2>5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in this sub-forum?</h2><p>Yes, there are rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow when posting in this sub-forum. These include being respectful to others, providing accurate information, and avoiding plagiarism. Please read the forum rules before posting to ensure a positive and productive environment for all members.</p>

1. What topics are covered in the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?

The Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum covers a wide range of topics in both mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, calculus, physics, biology, chemistry, and more. It is a place for students and professionals to share and learn about various concepts and techniques in these fields.

2. Are the tutorials suitable for all levels of expertise?

Yes, the tutorials in this sub-forum are suitable for all levels of expertise. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, you can find helpful resources and discussions to enhance your understanding of mathematics and science.

3. Can I request a tutorial on a specific topic?

Yes, you can request a tutorial on a specific topic by creating a new thread in the sub-forum. Other members may be able to provide helpful resources or explanations for your requested topic.

4. How can I contribute to the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?

There are several ways to contribute to this sub-forum. You can share your own tutorials, participate in discussions, provide feedback and suggestions, and help answer questions from other members. Your contributions can help create a valuable learning community for everyone.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in this sub-forum?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow when posting in this sub-forum. These include being respectful to others, providing accurate information, and avoiding plagiarism. Please read the forum rules before posting to ensure a positive and productive environment for all members.