Moment of inertia, tension, acceleration

In summary, the tension of the rope is not equal to the weight of the block in this scenario. Using Newton's second law and the moment of inertia of the disc, one can determine the linear and angular accelerations of the block and wheel. The torque exerted on the wheel is equal to the product of tension and the radius of the wheel. By relating the angular acceleration to the linear acceleration, one can write down two equations involving the tension and acceleration and solve for both.
dinonichas
A 10kg block is attached to a massless cord that doesn't stretch or sag which is rapped around a disc like wheel, m=5Kg, I= (1/2)mR^2. If the block is allowed to drop straight down held back only by the rotation of the wheel:

1. What is the tension of the rope?
2. What is the acceleration of the block?

I think that "I" is the moment of inertia of the disc, but I can't figure out how I can connect that with the fact that the falling block has to be decelerated by it and not reach the gravitational acceleration

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dinonichas and welcome to PF,

What have you attempted thus far? What are your thoughts?

Should i link the kinetic energy of the disc K.E=(1/2)Iw^2 with that of the falling block K.E=(1/2)mg^2 ? how can i do that?

dinonichas said:
Should i link the kinetic energy of the disc K.E=(1/2)Iw^2 with that of the falling block K.E=(1/2)mg^2 ? how can i do that?
Since the question is asking for forces and accelerations, I think that it would be much better to consider the forces acting on the block and the wheel and link them to the accelerations (angular and linear).

the rate of change of angular momentum of disc = rate of change of linear momentum of block
d(Iw)/dt=dmv <=> (MR^2)/2 dw/dt = mg <=> dw/dt=2mg/MR^2
So I have the angular acceleration of the disc.
is the tension of the rope = mg ?

dinonichas said:
the rate of change of angular momentum of disc = rate of change of linear momentum of block
d(Iw)/dt=dmv <=> (MR^2)/2 dw/dt = mg <=> dw/dt=2mg/MR^2
This isn't true in general.
dinonichas said:
is the tension of the rope = mg ?
No.

I suggest you start by considering the forces acting on the block and then use Newton's second law to determine the linear acceleration of the block.

Well, the block has gravitational force, but the tension of the rope is on the other direction, so the force acted on the wheel is mg - tension of rope.
so that force causes acceleration on the wheel. centripetal acceleration= (w^2).r
i am stuck. how will I use moment of inertia here, it is not connected to acceleration..

dinonichas said:
Well, the block has gravitational force, but the tension of the rope is on the other direction, so the force acted on the wheel is mg - tension of rope.
Not quite, this is the net force acting on the block. The tension is the only force acting on the wheel. So, can you know use Newton's second law to write an expression for the acceleration of the block?

acceleration of the block= (mg-tension)/m

dinonichas said:
acceleration of the block= (mg-tension)/m
Good. :approve:

Now, how does the torque exerted on a body relate to the angular acceleration produced?

torque = inertia * angular acceleration = 1/2 * m * R^2 * angular acceleration

Also torque=tesnsion*R

dinonichas said:
torque = inertia * angular acceleration = 1/2 * m * R^2 * angular acceleration
Correct.

Next you need to determine the torque in terms of the tension and relate the angular acceleration of the wheel to the linear acceleration of the block. Note that the linear acceleration of the block is the same as the tangential acceleration of the wheel.

Then you should be done :biggrin:

and linear acceleration * R = angular acceleration

So linear acceleration= 2*tension/(a*r^3) ?

but what about the tension?
isn't it equal to m.g= 10*9.8=98N ??

is torque=tesnsion*R ?

dinonichas said:
and linear acceleration * R = angular acceleration
Correct :approve:
dinonichas said:
So linear acceleration= 2*tension/(a*r^3) ?
Not quite sure where your getting this from.
dinonichas said:
but what about the tension?
isn't it equal to m.g= 10*9.8=98N ??
No, the tension isn't equal to the weight of the block. The tension is unknown as is the acceleration. You should be able to write down two equations involving the tension and acceleration and then solve for both.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the product of an object's mass and the square of its distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is tension?

Tension is a force that acts along a string, rope, or other flexible material, pulling on the ends of the material and transmitting that force to any objects attached to it.

4. How is tension related to acceleration?

Tension is related to acceleration through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a string or rope, the tension force can cause an object to accelerate, depending on the mass of the object and the tension force applied.

5. What factors affect tension in a system?

The tension in a system is affected by factors such as the mass of the object being pulled, the strength and flexibility of the material used, and the angle at which the force is applied. In general, increasing the mass or decreasing the strength and flexibility of the material will result in a higher tension force.