Estimating Tin Amount in Closed Tin Can with Differentials

In summary, to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can with a diameter of 8 cm and height of 12 cm and a thickness of .04 cm, we can use differentials to find the maximum error in the calculated surface area. By expressing the tin can as a rectangle and using the formula for surface area, we can find the error in the surface area. However, to find the total surface area, we must use the equation for the volume of a cylinder. The derivative of volume is not equal to the area, but rather shows the rate of change between two variables. With the correct formula for surface area, calculus may not be necessary for this problem.
fk378

Homework Statement

Use differentials to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can with diameter 8 cm and height 12 cm if the tin is .04 cm thick.

Homework Equations

dz = (dz/dx) dx + (dz/dy) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the area of the tin can we can see it as a rectangle. Since the diameter is given as 8cm, we can find the circumference 2(pi)r.
Surface Area (SA)=height(h) x circumference(C)
dSA=(dSA/dh) dh + (dSA/dC) dC
dh = (.04)(2) = dC
dSA=C(.08)+ h(.08)
With this I can find the error in finding the surface area, but I don't know how to figure out what the total surface area is.

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh actually if i use the equation V=(pi)r^2(h) I get the right answer...but am I just finding the max error in the calculated volume here? I understand that the derivative of volume=area, but in this equation doesn't dV=total differential=error? How could the value of the error also be the value of the area?

Last edited:

but I don't know how to figure out what the total surface area is.
Try to layout the tin can as a map. That is, if you cut the edges and and layed everything flat. How would it look like?

Or lookup the equation for the surface area of a cylinder.

fk378 said:
Hm, is the derivative of volume=area?

No, deriative of something is how much one thing changes in respect to another.

It's just gone midnight, so I maybe misreading your post, but why is calculus necessary? Surely, with the correct formulae for the area of a cylinder, then you're sorted.

V

1. What is the definition of a differential?

A differential is an infinitesimal change in a variable. It can be thought of as the derivative of a function with respect to that variable.

2. How are differentials used in calculus?

Differentials are used in calculus to approximate the change in a function over a small interval. They are also used to find maximum and minimum values of functions.

3. What is the relationship between differentials and derivatives?

Differentials and derivatives are closely related. The derivative of a function is the ratio of the change in the output to the change in the input, while the differential is the actual change in the output.

4. What is the area under a curve?

The area under a curve is the region between the curve and the x-axis on a graph. It can be found by using integrals in calculus.

5. How can differentials be used to calculate area?

Differentials can be used to approximate the area under a curve by breaking it into small rectangles and summing their areas. This is known as the Riemann sum and can be improved by taking smaller and smaller rectangles.