Solving Problems with Work, Energy, and Power

In summary, the conversation includes a question about a block sliding down an inclined plane and finding its kinetic energy, work done to overcome friction, friction force, and coefficient of kinetic friction. The formula K=1/2mv^2 is used to find the kinetic energy, while K+U+Wother=K+U is used to find the work done to overcome friction. The formula F-friction=ma is used to find the friction force, and friction=kN is used to find the coefficient of kinetic friction. The conversation also suggests using basic kinematic equations and potential energy to determine the final speed of the block and the total energy, respectively. It also mentions using vector algebra and trigonometry to find the normal force exerted
Caraniah
I have question about this chapter (and yes, this is my tutorial question) that i want to ask. I use the formula but i did not get the right answer. Please help me and tell me what's wrong...

Question

A block of 30 kg slides down a rough inclined plane with an acceleration 1.5 meter per second. The plane makes an angle of 28 degree with the horizontal and is 8.0 m long. Find

1) The kinetic energy of the block when it reaches the bottom of the incline. (Ans: 360.15J)

I use K=1/2 mv^2

2) The work done to overcome friction. (Ans:745.2 J)

I use K + U + W other = K + U

3)the friction force that acts on the block. (Ans: 93.2 N)

I use F - friction = ma

4) The coefficient of the kinetic between the block and the plane. (Answer: 0.36)

I use friction =kN

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Use the basic kinematic equations to determine the final speed of the block, then just use the KE formula.

2. Note that since energy is conserved, the work done to overcome friction + final KE of the block is a constant throughout block's downward slide. You need a formula to find the total energy. Think in terms of potential energy here.

3. Once you have done 2., you can easily determine the force from the work done to overcome friction.

4. The formula is correct but N refers to the normal force exerted on the plane by the block. Use some vector algebra and trigo to figure that out.

Thanks. I will try to digest your answer slowly...

1. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a certain distance, while power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. How are work, energy, and power related?

Work, energy, and power are all measures of the amount of energy transferred or used to perform a task. Work is the total amount of energy transferred, while energy is the capacity to do work. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done.

3. What are some examples of work, energy, and power in everyday life?

Examples of work include lifting a book, pushing a shopping cart, or carrying a backpack. Energy can be seen in many forms, such as the kinetic energy of a moving car or the potential energy of a stretched rubber band. Power can be observed in actions like running, riding a bike, or using an electric drill.

4. How is the conservation of energy related to work and power?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the amount of work done or power used in a system must be equal to the amount of energy transferred or converted.

5. How does one calculate work, energy, and power?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the displacement in the direction of the force. Energy is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. Power is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. These calculations can be done using various formulas and units, such as joules, watts, or newtons.