Proving Continuity of a Polynomial Function at a Zero of Another Polynomial

In summary: Office Shredder said p(x)= g(x)(x- x0)m, NOT "q(x)(x- x0)m". You cannot use "q" to mean two different polynomials. In summary, p/q can be assigned a value at x0 such that the function defined will be continuous there iff x0 is a zero of p of multiplicity greater than or equal to m.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Let p and q be a polynomial and x0 be a zero of q of multiplicity m. Prove that p/q can be assigned a value at x0 such that the function thus defined will be continuous there iff x0 is a zero of p of multiplicity greater than or equal to m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to even get started. This question just confuses me in what it's asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
If f(x) is a polynomial, and has a zero at x0 of degree m, then there exists a polynomial g(x) such that f(x) = g(x)*(x-x0)m

As written, p/q (if q has a zero at x0) is not defined at x0, but is defined continuously in a ball around x0. A standard trick is to extend functions by finding what their limit is as you approach points that aren't in the original domain, and then defining a new function that equals the original function on the original domain, and if you're on one of the non-defined points, you define it to be the limit of the original function.

So try writing p and q in the form I gave at the top of my post, and then use the tip to consider the relative degrees of the roots and figure out if the limit as x approaches x0 exists

Office_Shredder said:
If f(x) is a polynomial, and has a zero at x0 of degree m, then there exists a polynomial g(x) such that f(x) = g(x)*(x-x0)m

As written, p/q (if q has a zero at x0) is not defined at x0, but is defined continuously in a ball around x0. A standard trick is to extend functions by finding what their limit is as you approach points that aren't in the original domain, and then defining a new function that equals the original function on the original domain, and if you're on one of the non-defined points, you define it to be the limit of the original function.

So try writing p and q in the form I gave at the top of my post, and then use the tip to consider the relative degrees of the roots and figure out if the limit as x approaches x0 exists
Ok so p: there exists a polynomial q such that p=q*(x-x0)m
Is this right then do the same for q?

kathrynag said:
Ok so p: there exists a polynomial q such that p=q*(x-x0)m
Is this right then do the same for q?

or p=r*(x-x0)m?

Office Shredder said p(x)= g(x)(x- x0)m, NOT "q(x)(x- x0)m". You cannot use "q" to mean two different polynomials.

Don't write "p(x)= q(x)(x- x0)m" or "p= r(x- x0)m). Do what Office Shredder suggested!

Ok, so I have p=g(x)(x-[tex]x_{0}[/tex])[tex]^{m}[/tex]
q=g(x)(x-[tex]x_{0}[/tex])[tex]^{n}[/tex]
p/q=(x-[tex]x_{0}[/tex])[tex]^{m-n}[/tex]

I'm just confused on where to go next... Like do I do a delta, epsilon proof?

1. What is the definition of continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where the function's output values change gradually as its input values change. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How do you prove that a polynomial function is continuous at a zero of another polynomial?

In order to prove that a polynomial function is continuous at a zero of another polynomial, we need to show that the limit of the function as it approaches the zero is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the definition of continuity and the properties of limits.

3. Can a polynomial function be continuous at a zero of another polynomial if the two polynomials have different degrees?

Yes, a polynomial function can be continuous at a zero of another polynomial even if the two polynomials have different degrees. This is because the degree of a polynomial only affects the behavior of the function at very large or very small values, while continuity is concerned with the behavior of the function at a specific point.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove continuity of a polynomial function at a zero of another polynomial?

Some common techniques used to prove continuity of a polynomial function at a zero of another polynomial include using the definition of continuity, using the properties of limits, and utilizing techniques such as polynomial division and factoring to simplify the function.

5. Are there any special cases where proving continuity of a polynomial function at a zero of another polynomial is particularly challenging?

Yes, there are some special cases where proving continuity of a polynomial function at a zero of another polynomial can be more challenging. These include cases where the function is undefined at the zero, or where the function has a removable discontinuity at the zero. In these cases, additional techniques may need to be used to prove continuity.