Proving Uniform Continuity for f+g on X

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the sum of two uniformly continuous functions on a given set, X, is also uniformly continuous on X. The solution involves using the fact that Lipschitz functions are uniformly continuous and proving that the sum of two uniformly continuous functions is Lipschitz. By showing that the sum of two uniformly continuous functions is Lipschitz, it can be concluded that the sum of two uniformly continuous functions is also uniformly continuous on X.
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

if f and g are 2 uniformly continuous functions on X --> R

show that f+g is uniformly continuous on X

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried showing that f+g is Lipschitz because all Lipschitz functions are uniformly continuous.

So i end up with d(x_1,x_2) < delta then d([f(x1)+g(x1)],[f(x2)+g(x2)])<epsilon. how can I show this is lipshcitz

Physics news on Phys.org
forget about lipschitz

you know that if you pick x1 and x2 close to each other, then fx1 and fx2 are at most a distance close to each other, namely epsilon. And also gx1 and gx2 are at most a distance epsilon. so their summed distance is 2 *epsilon.

so now you can define epsilon' as 2epsilon... so for any distance delta between x1 and x2 you now have a distance epsilon' between f+gx1 and f+gx2, that upholds that "for any epsilon' >0 there is a delta >0 such that the distance between x1 and x2 <delta implies that the distance between f+gx1 and f+gx2 is smaller than epsilon' "... it's just the same delta as before.

or at least that's what I make of it. It's 1 AM here and I can't finish my own problem so I went to look at other peoples' problems... but I don't have a clear mind right now.

Oh yeah, and when you write this down... you'll want to use nice math symbols and make things a bit more rigorous... but I think that should be no problem.

Last edited:
Let e>0 be given. Since f(x) is uniformly continuous on X, there exists s > 0, such that y in neighborhood of x, N_s (x), implies |f(y)-f(x)| < e/2. Similarly, since g(x) uniformly continuous, y in N_s (x) implies |g(y) - g(x)| < e/2. Since |f(y)+g(y) - f(x)-g(x)| <= |f(y) - f(x)| + |g(y) - g(x)| < e/2 + e/2, we have |(f+g)(y) - (f+g)(x)| < e, for all y in N_s (x). That is (f+g) uniformly continuous, this completes the proof.

I don't think we're supposed to write out the entire answer like that

jacobrhcp said:
I don't think we're supposed to write out the entire answer like that

VERY DEFINITELY NOT. It's against the forum rules. "Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made." Don't do that again.

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function that describes its behavior over a given interval. A function is considered uniformly continuous if, for any small change in the input, there is a corresponding small change in the output, regardless of where the change occurs within the interval.

How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger condition than regular continuity. While regular continuity only requires that the function is continuous at every point, uniform continuity requires that the function is continuous over the entire interval. This means that there are no abrupt changes or discontinuities in the function's behavior within the interval.

What is the importance of uniform continuity in mathematics?

Uniform continuity is an essential concept in mathematical analysis, particularly in the study of continuous functions. It helps to describe the smoothness and behavior of functions over a given interval, and is necessary for many important theorems and proofs in calculus and real analysis.

How can uniform continuity be proved?

Uniform continuity can be proved using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. This involves showing that for any epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a delta (a small positive number) such that the distance between the function's output for any two inputs within delta of each other is less than epsilon. If this condition holds for the entire interval, then the function is considered to be uniformly continuous.

Are all continuous functions also uniformly continuous?

No, not all continuous functions are uniformly continuous. While all uniformly continuous functions are also continuous, the reverse is not always true. For a function to be uniformly continuous, it must satisfy a stronger condition over the entire interval, as opposed to just at each individual point.